TDK CDRW not even being detected !!

Can anybody help, I recently purchased a WD USB external hard drive that came packaged with Retrospect Express. My main problem right now is that it is not even detecting my CDRW drive. Whenever I try to get it to scan my storage devices it only lists my ZIP drive under the Status Tab and my Raid Controller under the Environment Tab, this does not make any sense at all. My TDK veloCD 32/10/40 Internal CD ReWriter work wells and is fully detected by Windows XP, I have tried all different kinds of hardware configurations but Retrspect won't even list it when scans for hardware.

Any ideas?

IT is fully detected in my BIOS too. frown.gif

Are there any cd writing applications loaded in the background or in your system tray? If there is, it may be using the CDRW and preventing Retrospect from seeing it. I would check the task manager for applications that look like they may be related to cd writing.

Also, you could try booting up in safe mode to see if Retrospect is able to see the drive, if it does, then it has to be something loaded during a normal bootup that's locking onto the drive.

Thank for your help Ronald,

I will take a look tonight when I get back home from work, as far as I know there is nothing that is tying up the drive, I will uninstal my Nero software and try again. I do have windows XP CD writing service but it is set to start up manually and really should not tie up the drive.

What also confuses me is why it is showing my ZIP Drive under the status tab in Retrospect Storage Devices window but not under the Enviroment TAB? The status tab is there to show you the status of your Backup MEDIA (ZIP TAPES, CDRW MEDIA etc) and the Environment tab is used to display all back up devices available to the program. So the ZIP drive should appear in BOTH.

Finally what also makes no sense is that again the in the Storage Device Console under the enviroment tab it is searching using ASPI "Devices avaible using ASPI"ASPI is not even needed in XP.

Archived