Restrospect 6.0 and Windows Digital Rights Management

mksmith

When I restore a backup volume using Retrospect, I find that all my licenses for music which I purchased online are no longer valid. Retrospect somehow changes the digital ID of my computer.

I follow the instructions in this knowledge base article KB891664 to restore my license files using Windows Media Player 10.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891664

But because I've had to do several Restropect restorations in the past, I can no longer restore my music licenses because Windows thinks I've already restored to 4 different computers. I get this message from the license restoration service when I try:

===========================================================

Your licenses cannot be restored to this computer because you have already restored your licenses to four unique computers.

Notes

You are allowed to restore your licenses to four unique computers.

The license restoration service identifies a unique computer by reading its hardware and Windows ID numbers. These numbers may change if you replace certain hardware components in your computer or if you reformat your hard disk prior to reinstalling Windows. If your computer's ID numbers change and you try to restore your licenses, the restore service will think you are trying to restore your licenses to a new (unique) computer.

===========================================================

This is NOT correct. It's the same computer. All my music which I paid $$$ for is no longer playable in WMP 10.

What can I do?

Should I be expecting a check in the mail from Dantz to replace all my music?

Thanks

Hi

Was driver update 3.9 installed when you did the restore? It has some critical updates that may help.

Retrospect does not change the ID of the computer. Some programs will look at the serial number of the hard disk to manage licenses. This serial number changes every time you format the disk and Retrospect cannot restore it. I suspect that may be the cause of the problem for you.

Thanks

Nate

I have never reformatted my hard drive.

On several occasions when I have restored my drive from a backup set using Retrospect 6, all my license files for music which I purchased online are no longer valid after the restoration.

When I try and restore my license files from backup, Windows media player and the license restoration service behave as though I've changed a hard drive on the computer. All my music is now lost.

Archived