data transfer speeds/restoring files to a volume on a network

nick_harambee

hi,

i have recently installed retrospect 6.5 pro in order to back up two laptops to a backup set on an external hard drive. the first laptop is connected directly to the external hard drive via USB 2.0 and the second is connected over a wireless g network. i have installed retrospect client 6.5 on the second laptop.

the first issue i have is to do with data transfer speeds:

when i performed my first backup the data transfer speed for the laptop which was connected wirelessly was about 50MB/min, and i was expecting faster transfer times than this. both laptops show a connection speed of 54 Mbps. now by my calculations 54Mbps is equivalent to 405 MB/min, and whilst i do not expect to get maximum speeds the difference between 50 and 405 is rather large!

the backup seemed to work ok, but now i am attempting to restore selected files to the main drive on the second laptop (i.e. wirelessly). this drive is listed in retrospect under 'my network places' and i thought i would be able to write to it, but when i attempt to 'retrieve files and folders' to this volume i get an 'enter network password' box...server login... with 2 boxes to complete: 'connect as' and 'password' and i have no idea what to enter here.

i would be grateful if someone could help me out with these issues

thanks

nick

i haven't sorted out the data transfer speeds yet (i think this may be to do with the router), but i have managed to work out how to restore to a network volume, by starting from scratch with my workgroup/network and making sure i set all the correct permissions with the workgroup,

nick

I'm not sure of your speeds but I had a similar problem with a laptop and

found that it had USB1.0 ports instead of recommended USB2.0!

Suppose to be a x40 difference in speed. Difinately a big improvement

when I installed XP SP! which gave USB ports 2.0 capability. Turns out

plain XP only supports USB1.0.

Hi

I believe some access points have a combined maximum throughput of 54Mb. When you use two wireless devices at the same time you have to split the difference between the two. What kind of speed do you get when you use wireless on one machine and wired on the other?

FWIW I find my wireless network to be slower than advertised in regular Windows operations too.

Thanks

Nate

Archived