computer shuts down

The machine we use to run Retrospect shuts down without apparent reason. I've replaced computers, reformatted drives, checked networking (hubs, cables, ethernet cards), reinstalled OS, reinstalled Retrospect, upgraded Retrospect, rewritten scripts, checked settings (energy saver set to never sleep) in both system and Retrospect. I've used Retrospect for 5 years and have not seen this problem in any other setting. Suggestions?

At what point does it shut down?

Is this reproducible?

Have you changed any hardware? Software?

Can you give any details on your setting?

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

Operating System

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

thanks for the reply.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it shuts down; no particular time of day, retrospect may be active (a backup or archive) or it may be on but not active.

As for reproducing the problem: no, I can't seem to make it shut down.

I have changed both software (upgraded to 5) and hardware, but the problem existed prior to changes. Original system: Beige G3 266 MT, OS 9.1, 512MB RAM, Two Sony DAT DDS-DC drives (in Club Mac box) using Sony125 meter tapes, Retrospect 4.3 - no other programs on this machine.

Reinstalled software twice, operating system twice, then changed to a B/W G3 400, 512MB of RAM, same drives, Retro 4.3...same problem.

Upgraded to version 5, rewrote scripts...same problem.

Same ethernet drop used, switch connection hasn't changed. Varied my look ahead time for clients, changed back and forth from "stay in retrospect" to "quit" in unattended action preferences.

Checked, rechecked energy saving settings in OS.

Thanks again for suggestions

Archived