Creating New Source Groups

Each time I create a new Source Group in the Volumes window, an entry is automatically added to the new source group called "Source Groups Container". Why? It seems that if were to leave this entry under my new group, it would actually point to all of my source groups and therefore backup everything that I have defined under source group.

Hi

This drove me nuts forever...

When you create a source group the item you have highlighted in the volumes window is automatically added to the new source group. Just make sure you highlight a volume you want to add to the source group before you click on the create source group button.

Human nature of course - when you create a source group you first highlight the source group container...

Nate

Hi

I wouldn't say this is particularly "mac like".

The thinking is you can highlight all your desired sources, click on the source group button and instantly add them all to your new source group at once. It saves you the step of manually dragging them into the source group.

Thanks

Nate

I wasn't talking about just this function. For example:

- instead of having a button called 'forget', call it 'delete'.

- consistency between similar dialogs. 'backup sets' dialog has a properties and forget button where the 'manage scripts', selectors, volumes, etc. don't.

- no apply button in dialogs, that would allow you to save info without exiting dialog.

There's a few more, but you get the idea.

Hi

I see your point and agree. There are some akward bits in there. However there are reasons for some of it.

When you "forget" a backup set it is not deleted from the hard drive nor is the media erased. It is only removed/forgotten from the Retrospect database. In that respect "forget" is an accurate description of what is taking place.

Thanks

Nate

Archived