Backup problems with 5.0

Hello: I am having a problem with backup and hope someone can offer some help. I have backed up with no problems for the past almost 3 years using Retrospect Desktop. Recently upgraded to Workgroup 5.0 because we have gone to Mac OS X and encountered problems, as follows:

We have a Mac OS X Server v10.1.2, and back up 5 Mac computers to a DLT 7000 tape. We do a complete backup and then incremental backups daily. After installing the upgrade I proceeded to create a script to back up the 5 computers, and then launched it.

The results:

Computers 1 and 2 were backed up successfully (3G on one, 8G on the other).

Computer 3 did not back up (log showed error message -43 file/folder not found).

Computers 4 and 5 did not back up (log showed “No files need to be copied.”).

Questions:

1. What’s with computer 3 not being found? Retrospect saw this computer when I selected it as a source volume for my script; why couldn’t it find it 3 minutes later when the script was launched?

2. How is it possible that no files needed to be copied on the final 2 computers? I was doing a complete backup of all files, and starting with a clean new tape and a new backup set. And Retrospect did not scroll through all the files on these 2 computers as you see it doing during the incremental backups -- in the blink of an eye it said no files needed to be copied. I will note that these two computers are still on Mac OS 9.2 -- could this be a factor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

> 1. What’s with computer 3 not being found? Retrospect saw this computer when I selected it as a source volume for my script; why couldn’t it find it 3 minutes later when the script was launched?

Does this computer have a client on it, or are you backing it up through filesharing?

> 2. How is it possible that no files needed to be copied on the final 2 computers?

Did you select the whole computer as the source? Are you using selectors?

IrenaS -- thank you for your reply.

1. Does this computer have a client on it, or are you backing it up through filesharing?

I back this computer up (and the other four, too) by mounting it on the desktop of the server where Retrospect and our DLT tape drive are located. I assume this is what you mean by “backing it up through filesharing.” In the case of this computer, the whole computer was not the source, just one folder where we keep “Live Work.”

There are no clients in the Retrospect Backup Clients Database that I see when I go to Configure > Clients.

2. Did you select the whole computer as the source? Are you using selectors? Yes, on the final 2 computers, the whole computer was the source. The selector used on the script for all the computers was “All Files.”

Thanks for any help you can give me. As you have no doubt surmised, I am not particularly knowledgeable in these matters, and have been poring over the user’s guide but so far unable to get it to work.

> I back this computer up (and the other four, too) by mounting it on the desktop of the server where Retrospect and our DLT tape drive are located.

You need to set Retrospect up to automatically mount this computer, as described in the readme. Better yet, just use the client software (this preserves permissions correctly; they are not available to Retrospect when you mount the computer on the desktop).

> Yes, on the final 2 computers, the whole computer was the source. The selector used on the script for all the computers was “All Files.”

If you try an immediate backup of these computers to the same source, do you get the same behavior?

IrenaS: Thanks for the suggestions. I am happy to report that things are looking up on the backup front here. When I did not mount the computers on the server, but just launched the script and let Retro mount them automatically, all backed up completely (except for one that crashed, but I think that will be OK when we update the OS).

Thanks again, and if you’re ever in Boston I owe you a beer.

• 1 year later...

Did you select the whole computer as the source? Are you using selectors? Create a brand new backup set - are any files copied? If not, the most likely cause is a selector which excludes everything rather then including anything.

If this does not answer your question, please post detailed information about your configuration (including OS and Retrospect version), setup and specific steps to reproduce the problem you are experiencing. Not providing information about your environment will prevent users from presenting valid troubleshooting steps and suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been unable to get a backup since upgrading to Retrospect Server 5.x, OS 10.2.6. I created a server script, and added my main ASIP 6.3 server volume, mounted on the backup machine's desktop, and a remote client. I created a selector which included the volume named DriveA, OR the directory name includes the 2 directories on the client I wanted backed up.

The client is backed up fine, but nothing on the main server volume is backed up.

As an experiment, I deleted my selector, so that it now reads include everything, exclude nothing. Same result. So, I went to Configure>Volumes>Browse, and it showed no files in DriveA. I opened DriveA on the desktop, and all the folders and files are shown. But Retrospect cannot see anything on the volume.

I must say that this is, so far, the worst version of Retrospect I have ever used, and some have been pretty bad. I spent hours in the documentation, and never did find any clear instructions on how to use the server to backup specific volume-specific directories. I'm a pretty unhappy camper right now.

Archived