Can my G4 read a CD-RW?

I am posting this question again - the first time I didn't get an answer.

I have a G4 quicksilver (733 mhz) with a lite-on drive that, according to the latest device compatibility information, will only work with CD-R media, not CD-RW.

I have some old backups written on CD-RW media using Retrospect 4.3 on my former computer (which I no longer have).

If I purchase the retrospect 5 upgrade, will I be able to use my G4 with its lite-on drive to restore off this CD-RW backup? I don't want to write to CD-RW media (well, I do, but I guess I will have to wait a while before I can do that). I just want to know if I will be able to read it - that is, restore some files off it.

Restore functionality would be different for each drive. Some of the drives report "incompatible medium" errors when CD-RW media is used for packet writing.

One main reason that we do not support CD-RW with these drives is that the restore capabilities are not reliable.

That said, it might be possible to restore some or even all of the files, but I'd recommend transferring the data to a set that will be fully compatible with your new drive.

Archived