FAT32 partition to NTFS system with XP

Tirna

I just bought the Western Digital Dual-option External Hard Drive with Retrospect Express. My hard drive on the XP sytem is 120 GB and the external WD drive is 160 GB.

I have the software installed and read in the "quick install" guide..."the drive is preformated as a single FAT32 partition...the FAT32 file system has a maximum file transfer of 4 GB and cannot create partitions larger than 32 GB. Windows XP and 2000 users can overcome these file size limitations by reformatting the drive to the NTFS file system using the Disk Management utility."

I am definitely over my head here. Do I need to reformat the WD external drive to the NTFS system to be able to backup by 120 GB hard drive?

doh.gif

I use Retrospect Express 6.0.222. Using this version of Retrospect, you make a Backup of your system. With Backup you can restore your system to a previous configuration. This restoration is more complete then the Microsoft System Restore, which is very selective in what it restores. The one limitation is that you can only Restore to a working version of Windows. In case of a major disaster, I reformat my HD, install Windows from a reinstallation disk provided by Dell, install my USB2 Maxtor External HD software as well as the Retrospect software, access my External Maxtor HD and Restore my OS to its configuration before the disaster.

You will have to reformat your External Drive to the NTFS system.

First make sure the drive is recognized by your system by going to Start\My Computer. Left-click on My Computer. You should see your external drive listed under Hard Disk Drives.

To format your External Drive to NTFS. (Note: Following taken from my manual)

1. Select Start\Settings\Control Panel

2. Double-click Administrative Tools

3. Double-click Computer Management

4. Double-click Disk Management (located under the Storage icon).

(To format into two or more logical partitions, use the partitioning feature in the Disk Management utility. For more information, press F1 to access Help and enter partition in the keyword field.) (Note: With 120 GB internal drive, it would not be wise to partition your external 160 GB drive. You'll need all the space you can get on your external drive. Of course, this could depend on how much of your 120 GB internal drive is actually being used.)

5. Right-click on the icon for your new drive in the window that appears. FAT32 should be listed in the column labeled File System.

6. Select Format from the menu.

7. Select NTFS in the File System field.

8. Click OK when you are ready to format your drive.

Okay, so you suggest using the "backup" and not the "duplicate" feature of Retrospect? Also, in case of disaster how does a person reformat their HD before they install Windows? I am hoping for no disasters down the road, but also like to be prepared.

Thanks for the help!

If you use the "backup" can you later use the "duplicate" or should this be done on CD-Rs and keep a "backup" only on the external drive? Guess I am wanting to know if you can change methods once you commit to one or if it is best to stay with same method.

You cannot use Duplicate to restore your computer to a previous configuration. Duplicate does not include among other files your Registry files. In my case, C drive is 12.4 GB whereas the Retrospect Duplicate of my C drive is 8.08 GB. In other words, Retrospect Duplicate includes only 65% of the files that actually exist on the C drive. I use Duplicate mainly to share files with another computer.

As for formatting your internal C drive in case of a disaster, here is a link that may be of help to you:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/clean1.html

My computer is a "brand" computer. Brand computers usually come with bootable reinstallation disk that will allow you to format your C drive before the installation of WinXP. In my case, for a Dell computer, I insert the WinXP Reinstallation Disk in my CD-ROM drive, then tap F12 as the computer is booting. I then have the option of deleting the existing partitions and reformatting my HD. When this is complete I am asked if I want to install WinXP. Once the installation is complete, I would suggest you install SP2 and the software for your external HD and Retrospect Express. You then access your Backup and bring back your system to the exact configuration as of the time of the Backup.

If you have formatted your external HD into a single partition, I would suggest you create your Backup in a separate folder which you will name DesktopBackup Set A. Do the same if you decide to do a Duplicate; create the Duplicate in a folder which you will name DesktopDuplicate Set A. The reason for this is that in doing a progressive Duplicate, you will want Retrospect to delete all files on the Retrospect Duplicate which do not exist at the source, your C drive. If your Duplicate is not in its own folder, Retrospect will delete all files on your external HD, which might include your Backup files. So safer to have both Backup and Duplicate in their own folders.

Here are the directions for doing this. My external HD is labeled New Volume (G).

Backup Procedure

Source: Drive C:

Destination: (DesktopBackup Set A) Create New: DesktopBackup Set A\ OK\OK

Backup: Scanning….

Select a disc to add as storage to DesktopBackup Set A: New Volume (G)\Proceed

Add New Member to DesktopBackup Set A: Advanced

Location for backup data folder: Browse

Click on folder icon

Please enter a name for the new folder: DesktopBackup Set A\Create

Select\OK

Duplicate Procedure

Destination: (DesktopDuplicate Set A on New Volume G: replacing all contents)

Subvolume\Click on folder icon

Type: DesktopDuplicate Set A\Create\Define\OK

Really duplicate to DesktopDuplicate Set A on New Volume G: replacing all contents?\Replace\Duplicate

Really duplicate to DesktopDuplicate Set A on New Volume G: completely replacing it with the selected files?\OK

Scanning Drive C:

Duplicating Drive C:

Thanks again, but I must have done something wrong as I ended up with 93 errors. I ended with 84739 files, 14 GB, errors 1020 (sharing violations) and 1101 (file/directory not found). I have a listing 2 pages long with the errors. It looks like a lot of the errors are in Outlook Express--folders that I had created to save correspondence in. Others range from Program Files/local settings and System Volume Information/catalog--didn't ompare at offset ____ in stream data." I know that is not a lot of specifics and I am wondering how much of it is valuable info.

Guess my biggest concern is that I didn't do something correct. This is what I did:

Backup

Backup set

Backup media (checked the external disk)

Desktop BAckup set A

Select a disk to add storage to Desktop Backup Set A

Volume WD USB2 (my external drive)

using folder "1-Desktop BAckup Set A"

Type: local volume

File sys: NTFS

Used 69.2 m

Free 149.0 G

Total 149.1 G

Should I try to go through the process again from the beginning?

Thanks again, but I must have done something wrong as I ended up with 93 errors. I ended with 84739 files, 14 GB, errors 1020 (sharing violations) and 1101 (file/directory not found). I have a listing 2 pages long with the errors. It looks like a lot of the errors are in Outlook Express--folders that I had created to save correspondence in. Others range from Program Files/local settings and System Volume Information/catalog--didn't ompare at offset ____ in stream data." I know that is not a lot of specifics and I am wondering how much of it is valuable info.

Guess my biggest concern is that I didn't do something correct. This is what I did:

Backup

Backup set

Backup media (checked the external disk)

Desktop BAckup set A

Select a disk to add storage to Desktop Backup Set A

Volume WD USB2 (my external drive)

using folder "1-Desktop BAckup Set A"

Type: local volume

File sys: NTFS

Used 69.2 m

Free 149.0 G

Total 149.1 G

Should I try to go through the process again from the beginning?

When I look in:

CONFIGURE

DEVICES (I see WDC WD12)

BACKUP SETS

Used 12.4 G for 84,739 files

Storage: 1 member, 1 session, 1 snapshot

There is no harm in starting over. I would suggest you reformat your external HD. This is a lot simpler than trying to delete what you have done. Once that is done, follow the instructions here:

Backup Procedure

Destination: Desktop Backup Set A

Verification: Off

Backup: Scanning….

Select a disc to add as storage to Desktop Backup Set A: Volume WD USB2 \Proceed

Add New Member to Desktop Backup Set A: Advanced

Location for backup data folder: Browse

Click on folder icon

Please enter a name for the new folder: Desktop Backup Set A\Create

Select\OK

Archived