restoring on a deferent computer

micha33

Yes if you're talking about documents, files you've created. Retrospect is great at that.

Could be a problem if you're talking about doing a system restore. The other system [and certainly a laptop] will have different devices requiring different drivers. If the other system [e.g., laptop] will boot enough for Retrospect to complete the system restore [requires two reboots], you could then do an XP repair install. This should get everything fixed - but, if it were me, I'd do a clean install on the other/laptop. Then, when/if a problem comes up, I know it wasn't the Retrospect restore/XP Repair that caused it.

retrospect wont install on my laptop in order for me to restore my backup files. (from the ext HD)...that sucks!! now, after years of using RP to backup my files, I can not restore them on deferent machine. so what's the point here? I need to buy RP again just to restore my files ?

I am trying to call RP and they say they are closed. it's 8 AM , hello...anyone home?

Mic

Quote:

retrospect wont install on my laptop in order for me to restore my backup files. (from the ext HD)...that sucks!! now, after years of using RP to backup my files, I can not restore them on deferent machine. so what's the point here? I need to buy RP again just to restore my files ?

I am trying to call RP and they say they are closed. it's 8 AM , hello...anyone home?

Mic

If you set up the laptop as part of a network on which you have the system that has Etrospect installed, then yiu can run REtrospect on the host system and restore files to network drives, at least I think you can.

I can backup network drives, so I ASSuME that one can also restore network drives.

In the states it's a holiday (President's Day), so many businesses are closed.

"retrospect wont install"--why not? Are you saying it refuses to install, it's giving you an error (message?), it's a commercial version vs. and OEM version, etc.? In general, at least for the commercial version, Retrospect doesn't do anything to keep you from installing it on any computer. If you can install Retrospect anywhere and get access to your files, there's no reason you can't recover your data files. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I wouldn't count on a "system restore" from one machine to a different machine.

I am out of the US and forgot the holiday....

I was about to say that again it refused the serial number but now it works.

anyhow, I will start using the duplicate backup for my work files just in case.

thank you all and happy holiday...(ye get out and have fun, what are you doing in this forum...-)

Mic

Archived