D/R cd XP sp2 & slipstreaming OEM Dell restore cd

JohnK

Is there a way to slipstream sp2 with a Dell oem restore cd ?

I read article 5584 that says sp2 level is needed for D/R. I followed link to http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp. When I tried to integrate using command, xpsp2.exe /integrate:c:\xp, sp2 is copied to paging and then stops.

So it appears I can't slipstream and need some work around.

I also called Dell asking they send updated restore cd at level sp2, but no help from Indian Tech Support. As matter of fact, they seemed not to understand why a restore cd would ever be needed. Ouch !

Any wizards out there with solution ?

My Dell restore CD is just a copy onf XP SP1. Which sucks because it won't recognize my factory installed AHCI SATA drive. To get past that, you need to create a floppy diskette with the AHCI drivers on it - Dell conveniently supplies a driver disk that can be booted and will create the necessary floppy - IF THE PC HAD A FLOPPY DRIVE WHICH IT DOES NOT!!!

Had to go to attic and pull a 3.5 inch drive out of a mothballed machine and install just to be able to reinstall windows.

Am about to try to create disaster recovery CD now - hope that works to boot the client machine without all of this hardware hoopla!

Archived