V7.0 - Long time user - encountering three problems

garryggreen

1) The systray icon does not appear unless I start Retro, then quit; how do I have it appear upon logon?

2) When Retro is running (I'm not using CD's or DVD's in Retro), all access to my CD and DVD drives is lost until I quit Retro; the drive letter shows, but I cannot expand the drive and see the folders within the CD/DVD until I quit Retro - this is 100% consistent (if it matters, the two drives are both SATA DVD writers)

3) I've always used File sets, so I just tried Disk sets, which were a partition on a removable disk drive; when it ran out of space, I used Partition Magic to increase the size of the partition - it seems Retro does not like this; are there any drawbacks to using file based backups given that the file is NTFS based, and when the removable disk's capacity is exhausted, I do a recycle (if indeed, disk based backup sets partition's cannot be resized using e.g. Partition Magic)?

XPSP2 with Retro V7 Pro

For item 1)

- Retrospect bar on the left -> Configure, Preferences, Execution, Startup.

- Verify "Enable Retrospect Launcher Service" for auto-starts.

- Verify "Automatically Launch Retrospect" for auto-start for scripts only.

- Verify "Show Taskbar Icon" for the tray icon.

No idea on number 3. Hopefully someone else knows that. smile.gif

After thinking about your question #3 a bit, you should probably check out making a new backup set and the options involved. I use a removable hard drive media and have had no issues with NTFS as the filesystem and also using Retrospect's method of recycling when it gets close to capacity.

Note that when you make a new backup set you can set a percentage (or size) to use on the volume, and when it reaches capacity you have three options: Ask for a new disk, Keep the last <user selectable> backups, and Keep according to Retrospect built-in policy (basically keeps based on backup age, as many backups as it can but makes space for the new one).

That did it - I didn't realize Retro would lock the optical drives it wasn't using them - this may explain MANY of the optical problems I have had over the years, using CD's while Retro was running. Been using Retro for about 5 years and never knew this one. Thanks, but ......

Now that they are ignored, how do I get them to not be ignored? If I click on the Don't ignore, even if I recycle Retro, they still show up ignored.

Thanks.

Kelly - all of these options are checked. To get the icon upon start up (or logon), something would need to be in the start up list of Windows, and I can't see anything. The Retro launcher service Retrorun is auto start and is actually running. Will reboot now to confirm again and repost.

On the question of disk vs file backups, with file backups, if the partition on your removable hard disk runs out of space, you can, if you wish, resize it with Part. Magic, for example, which then gives you more space in the partition on the hard disk where the backup file is located, in effect, allowing you more back up space. It seems that if you resize the partition containing the disk (vs file) backup set, Retro gets real mad and thinks the set is corrupted and won't use it. Just want to confirm that this is indeed true, and since this is a (small) drawback, what are the benefits of disk vs file backups on removable hard disk (SATA by the way).

Thanks.

No Kelly, I wasn't seeing things, I just rebooted again and no icon. Whatever technique is being used to put in icon into the systray would seem to be timing dependent - it works sometimes.

Q. Does Dantz/Emc monitor these forums so that if there is a bug in the sw, they will check into it and fix it?

Quote:

Now that they are ignored, how do I get them to not be ignored? If I click on the Don't ignore, even if I recycle Retro, they still show up ignored.

Don't know what to tell you there - the Don't Ignore button works for me; I just click it and then immedately exit Retrospect, and the drive is back as an available backup device when I restart Retrospect, just as it should be.

Edit:

I just noticed that if I reselect a drive, then click the Refresh button, it returns the drive to Ignored state. So don't click Refresh between clicking Don't Ignore and quitting Retrospect! smile.gif

Gary I think they do monitor these forums. My last guess would be that something might block it? Microsoft anti-spyware or a virus scanner? When I installed I have a couple of security pop-ups. One was from the anti-spyware tool, the other from a Cisco app I have loaded. I allowed the installation of Retrospect from both pop-ups.

Do you have anything installed that could have blocked the insertion of services? I have two services that were loaded, Retrospect Helper and Retrospect Launcher.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the install will check this thread.

-Kelly

Kelly - my understanding from other company's who put icons in the tray is that some software doesn't check if Windoes has completing creating the tray area - the software just adds its icon to the tray; if the tray is there, great, if not, what the heck. So the correct functioning of the icon in the tray becomes timing dependent; it might show up on today's boot, but not tomorrow, but be back the following day. I just thought that EMC/Dantz should look into this and issue a small fix for whatever is causing this - I just booted the test system 5 times - twice the icon showed up, 3 times it didn't.

Any info on resizing of the partition where disk backup sets reside? Doesn't look promising.

Thanks,

Garry

Archived