vxa-2 firewire autoloader retro 6 problem

I used to use a VXA 10 pack (SCSI) with retro 5.5. When I changed to retro 6, I noticed that tapes would not load sequentially but randomly - for example, retro might load the tape from slot 1 first, but then skip to slot 7 for the next tape, even though I have 10 freshly erased tapes in there.

I stopped using the VXA some time ago, and recently got a new XVA-2 10 pack with firewire. I put 10 tapes in and erased them, set up a new script in "new media" mode, and let it run a back up on aproximately 500 GB. Near the end of the backup, I pushed some buttons on the front of the autoloader - I wanted to see if I could check to see which tape is being written to. (It doesn't appear to be possible either from there or retrospect). That caused retrospect to hang and I had to restart. After I restarted I checked the device config and it seems that retro wrote a tape one and a tape 7 - everything else is still "erased". That means that retro must have written tape one, gone to 7, and then just kept overwriting the same tape 6 times. I'm in the middle of another backup which will finish tomorrow, to test it again. What am I doing wrong?

BTW I'm using the latest update from Dantz, 6.1.102.

Hi

Retrospect pulls tapes at random from the loader. From the perspective of the backup machine the order of the tapes is irrelevant. Retrospect sees the loader as a pile of media in no particular order. All that matters is that each tape live in a unique position in the loader.

Its not ideal for us humans but thats at least how its supposed to work.

There is no way Retrospect would keep erasing tape 7.

Hope that helps

Nate

I restarted the computer - I hadn't restarted after loading the latest driver update. Then I set retrospect to not verify (too slow - it would take 4-5 days to do a complete backup with it on). Ran another backup and now it works - writes to all tapes. Slight annoyance though, that I have to write down that slot 10 is actually tape 1, slot 9 is tape 2, etc, when I go to archive the tapes.

Archived