Trouble with partial restore of Mac clients on XP server

bettsy

Hi guys. Just new to the forum so my apologies if this subject has already been covered. I've had a look and found nothing.

I'm using Retrospect 6.5 on a Windows XP Pro server to backup two Mac OS 10.3.7 clients.

Everything's fine with the backup function - although I have come across the problem others are having accessing those Mac clients from within Retrospect. We all await OS 10.3.8 or Tiger.

However, my main concern is how to perform partial restores. If I restore to the drives on the Windows box, neither the Windows machine nor the Macs can see the files at all - even though they are visible from within Retrospect (which, of course, cannot log onto the Mac to copy the files across - catch 22).

I've tried restoring to a Zip drive and have met with some success. When the Zip disk is mounted on the Mac the restore is visible but some or all the files are either missing or show up as Unix files. Applying the correct file extension to these files and opening them with the creating application results in a whole bunch of garbage instead of the expected file.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Bettsy

Hi

Have you considered using Retrospect client to access your macintosh machines? It will make backups and restores much easier.

How were these files backed up originally? SMB mounted file shares?

You may need to change permissions on the restored files in order to see them properly.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate

Thanks for your reply.

The Macs both have Retrospect Client installed and the backups were made with Retrospect on the XP server, set to backup the Retrospect Client list. Nothing has been done outside of Retrospect.

I'm wondering if my problem is actually to do with the OS10.3.6/7 network issue. I have the feeling if I could access the Macs from within Retrospect (XP) to do the restore directly to a Mac volume, the problem would go away. Could it be the mere fact that I'm trying to restore Mac files to Windows volumes that is causing the issue?

BTW, I can access the Macs via Explorer on the PC, just not from inside Retrospect. I'm either told I have insufficient permissions or that the volume could not be found and should be reinserted.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that this issue is actually a Retrospect one, not a Mac OS problem. If Explorer can mount the Macs, so should Retrospect be able to.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi

It sounds to me like you are trying to access the clients via windows networking instead of through the client application.

What happens if you go to configure->clients and then click on add? Do the client machines show up?

What happens when you select a client volume (from the clients container) as a destination for restore?

Thanks

nate

Hey Nate, you're golden!

I'm sure I tried through the Retrospect Client but obviously I was wrong.

Now I can sleep at night - and recommend to these guys to take the next step and build the big server to do their whole Mac network.

Thanks heaps.

Archived