Error 204 on OSX & Que DVD-RAM

Hi,

I'm using Retrospect 5.0.201 on MacOS X 10.1.4. I'm backing up network clients to a Que Firewire DVD-RAM. Both backing up and restoring were working fine until today. The only real changes I can remember making to the system are the automatic OS X update. Now I find I cannot restore anything from several different backup sets. I keep getting the following error:

Device Trouble: "3-Backup", error 204 (device busy).

Based on what I found in the forums, I turned off file sharing. That didn't help. I attempted to repair the backup set, but when I choose "Repair file backup set," all my sets are grayed out.

I did find one backup set from whicih I can restore files, but I am still unable to restore from others.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

Yes, everything mounts fine on the desktop.

Now that I've had to restore a few files from other sets, it seems to be just this set that is messed up. Can you tell me why I cannot "Repair file backup set"? All my sets are grayed out.

File backup sets are different than removable backup sets. You can save a file backup set to a DVD-RAM, but usually it will be a removable disk set.

You can tell be the icon next to the set in the Copnfigure > Backup Sets window; the file backup set icon looks like two sheets of paper, while the removable disk icon looks like two floppy disks.

OK, I figured out the problem. The disks were write-protected. Evidently Retrospect will not restore files from a write-protected disk? If so, then the error message should be changed. As NCSUCPE said, write-protected disks are not "busy" disks.

Archived