Retrospect backing up only partial volumes

cgtyoder

I am running Retrospect Pro 6.5.350, Driver Update 5.4.110 on WinXP Home SP2, with 4 client computers being backed up. All clients are WinXP Pro SP2, running Retrospect Client 6.5.136.

The logs report no failures, and I am backing up the whole C: drive on each client computer, but the backup size for each client as reported in the log is clearly less than what is on each of the computer. E.g. it reports backing up 1.6GB for client X when in fact X's C: drive has 6.7GB of files. File compression in Retrospect is turned off. The final backup set size (I am backing up to a file on a FireWire HD) is consistent with the combined totals of each client as reported in the log file.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Or is something wrong with Retrospect? Any pointers are appreciated. TIA.

-Conrad

Hi

Are you using the "all files" selector in your backup?

Most likely what is happening is that you have many identical files on your machines. Retrospect is smart enough to recognize when an exact file exists in multiple locations. When that happens Retrospect will back up the file once and then make a note of all the places it is stored. When you do a restore, the file will be copied back to all the locations it existed during backup.

It saves you a lot of storage space and backup time. In other words, this is a good thing.

Thanks

Nate

I am using the "All files except cache files" option.

It is quite possible that there are duplicate files, as there are several user accounts on each of the computers - but I would like to be completely certain of that. I am the consultant who is setting this up for a client and if their machines crash and need to be restored, and then can't (and I told them everything was OK), I am in deep yogurt. Is there any way to verify that it is indeed skipping duplicates?

-Conrad

Hi

Run a backup and hit the preview button. Any files that have already been backed up will be marked by a diamond in the preview window.

You can also turn on the "match same location" option in the backup options. This will force Retrospect to identical files even if they exist in multiple computers.

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

Archived