Retrospect 5 Server on a ASIP 6.3

I have Retrospect 5 Server installed onto an ASIP 6.3 server. The problem i have is that sometimes it stalls when starting the application. It stalls before the Application Splash screen arrives. But if I reboot the machine and start the application as soon as boot up is finished, it works. I have given the application a fair bit of RAM. So if I use Retrospect on boot up, the quit it, it won't start back up later. I HAVEN'T applied any patches yet. Is there a patch available that fixes this?

Steve

When Retrospect launches automatically, it uses an alias. Some systems have trouble opening applications in this manner. If you launch Retrospect manually this should not happen. You can also leave the program open to avoid the crash.

Another users posts his experience here:

Re: Retrospect 5, 9.2.2 and ASIP

*UPDATE*

Some customers have reported problems when backing up AppleShare IP servers with both Retrospect 4.3 and 5.0.

There is one problem reported with Retrospect 5.0 running on an ASIP server, where Retrospect is definitely not the cause:

The ASIP server crashes when Retrospect 5.0 autolaunches or is launched from an alias.

We have identified this to be a problem between Mac OS 9 and the ASIP software that may occur when any Carbon-style application is launched from an alias. We have duplicated this behavior using other Carbon applications, and we have reported the issue to Apple.

Other reported problems currently under investigation include:

Retrospect 4.3 running on an ASIP server asserts failure or hangs during the backup's copy phase.

The ASIP server locks up when the first user logs in following a backup of the server with the Retrospect 4.3 client.

The ASIP server crashes at the beginning of a backup with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Retrospect returns "error 1 (unknown)" for some files backed up from an ASIP server with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Due to the complexity of the AppleShare IP software and the difficulty in reliably reproducing these behaviors in a controlled environment, Dantz has been unable to establish that Retrospect is the cause of these problems. As such, we have opened a developer support case with Apple to determine the root cause of these issues.

We consider this to be a matter of the highest priority, and we will provide additional information on these issues as soon as we have anything significant to report.

Thank you,

Dantz Technical Support

I can confirm that physically launching Retrospect and leaving it open works fine. You can even have Retrospect hidden in the background and it will work fine. I admit that this is not the ideal solution, but it is definitely a workable one until Dantz or Apple come out with a fix.

I would like to take the time to thank the folks at Dantz for their hard work in fixing the many bugs that seem to have appeared in the latest release of their software. I know from experience that no matter how hard you try to make sure that all bugs are worked out before a software release there is still an unknown nest of them just waiting to bite you in the bum. So far it has been my experience that the techs at Dantz have been more than willing to help me with my problems until I am satisfied. If you do have a problem and the techs ask you to help them by running some logs or other various procedures please oblige them. There is no way they can set up a scenario that can beat an actual customer's machine. Every single user of Retrospect has the ability to help the techs keep Retrospect the best piece of Mac backup software and one of the best on any platform.

Archived