Newbie: Backup Set - Tape - Exabyte?

I'm using OS X Server, Retrospect Workgroup, Exabyte Tape Drive.

We are a cross platform shop. I just took over for someone else (limited exposure to retrospect) and I keep getting messages to select a new tape.

We have two complete sets of ten tapes. (Set 1 & Set 2)

What I'm trying to figure out, since we need a complete backup of every thing every evening, is how to setup the two groups of tapes without loosing any data.

In otherwords something like this:

Week 1:

M: Set 1

T: Set 2

W: Set 1

Th: Set 2

F: Set 1

Week 2:

M: Set 2

T: Set 1

W: Set 2

Th: Set 1

F: Set 2

Week 3: -Same as week 1, etc.

I've created a 5 day rotation and have been trying a 10 day rotation but, I keep getting the select a new tape message. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Hi

The key is the "Weeks" box and the "start date" in your schedules. To do this right you will have a total of 10 scheduled events.

You should also set up 10 different backup sets. It will make the tape rotation a lot easier. (Monday A, Monday B, Tuesday A, Tuesday B etc.)

Week1 sets:

Set the start date to this Monday and the weeks to "2". Even if the script is supposed to run on a day other than monday set the start date to this Monday.

Week2 sets

Set the start date to next Monday and the weeks to "2". Even if the scheduled is supposed to run on a day other than monday set the start date field to next monday.

The "weeks2" means every other week. Shifting the start date tells the script when to start following this every other week policy.

Hope that helps

Nate

Archived