Remove/Delete a Volume?

dklement

I am having a hard time removing/deleting a volume created by Retrospect from my NAS device. Are there any clear instructions on how to do this? I have tried everything from using "Forget" in the backup sets and volume sections to using the 'browser' in the volume section to delete files directly to deleting the catalog file on my workstation to using Microsoft Explorere to delete maually to...

Nothing works! Why is this so hard? What am I missing?

Hi

What do you mean by "delete a volume"? Do you mean delete the folder where Retrospect stored data or do you mean delete a large backup file?

When you delete/forget a backup set or disk in Retrospect it does not actually delete it from the disk. It just takes that item out of Retrospect's menus. You have to use Windows explorer to actually remove the data permanently.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

Yes I want to delete the data AND the folder that was created for it. Basically, as I played with Retrospect, I created at least two full back-up sets that I later abandoned. I used the 'forget' funtion and then deleted the catalog files on the host PC. However, nothing lets me delete the actual back-up files or the folder (e.g. Explorere). I tried using the browser in Retrospect to delete them as well. Still no success. The interesting thing is that on the same workstation, I can add and delete files in Explorer on this NAS anywhere OTHER than in the "Retrospect" folder and all subfolders and files.

BTW - the 'large backup file' is really a series of 20 or so files.

Dave K.

Hi

Thanks. I get it now.

It sounds like the folders were created with some permissons that are not allowing you to erase them.

Are both of these folders in a parent folder named "Retrospect"? If so you can try something like this:

Use Retrospect to run a "duplicate" of an empty folder on your hard drive to the Retrospect folder on the NAS. This will erase the contents of the Retrospect folder on the NAS.

Just be extra sure you selected the correct folder for the destination when you run the duplicate. Otherwise you will overwrite files you did not intend to.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Nate

Archived