Confused about Restore

Peter2150

Let give a scenario which will help eliminate my confusion.

I am running a single workstation environment and backup to an external drive. I also use imaging programs.

I image weekly and backup with retrospect daily.

Scenario. Hard drive fails totally today. I have an image from a week ago, and a retrospect backup from last night. No disaster recovery disk. I have installed new software this week, so of course some components of it are in the windows system area.

I install a new drive and restore the image so now I am back to last week. Can I now do a volume restore with retrospect and bring my drive back to like it was last night??

My confusion stems from how retrospect handles the windows system stuff.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hi

Yes. You can put your machine back exactly the way it was.

Every time Retrospect runs a backup it takes a "snapshot" of your _entire_ drive. It doesn't matter if you only actually backed up 1 file, Retrospect records the system registry and the exact contents of your drive in each snapshot. Its like a full disk image without having to make a full copy of the disk each time around.

For a restore Retrospect uses the snapshot as a map to assemble your incremental and full backups into a full restore. As a result you can select any snapshot for restore at any time. This allows you to put the drive back to exactly the way it was on any day of your backup.

Retrospect treats all files the same. It doesn't matter if they are windows files.

Hope that helps

Nate

I only started using Retrospect 6.5 about 4 weeks ago. One or two days after I made my fourth Backup Set, my operating system files became corrupted and I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall my operating system(windows XP Pro). My Backup sets are on a WD external hard drive. I am reorganizing my program structure so I want to open a Backup set and restore the backup files one program at a time. How can I get a Backup Set to open and show me a list of the files it contains and let me select the ones I want to restore?

Rooter

Hi

First you need to rebuild the catalog files using the tools->repair option in Retrospect. Then you will be able to select files for restore.

A word of warning, restoring individual Apps likely won't work very well. Retrospect does not do partial restores of the required registry information.

Application data should be no problem.

Thanks

Nate

Archived