Retrospect Professional only supports Open File Backup on Windows XP

kimatxtx

I have a Windows 2000 computer running Retrospect Professional 6.5.350, backing up 3 other Windows 2000 computers running Retrospect Client 6.5.136.

The backups seem to work, but after every client (including the server) the log file says "Retrospect Professional only supports Open File Backup on Windows XP."

What is this? Does Retrospect think these machines are running XP? Is something not being backed up because of it? Is there something I need to configure?

In your config, only the *local* XP machine (the one running the full Retrospect 6.5) will use XP's native OFB (Volume Shadow Copy service) for itself. This isn't true on the Clients, regardless of what they're running (XP or 2K). To get OFB on the clients, you'd have to buy Dantz's (kinda expensive...) OFB add-on.

• 3 weeks later...

I and others have also seen that on XP Pro (SP1 at least) platforms (which *should* have allowed local OFB). No rhyme or reason that I'm aware of, but it seemed to be common that if you checked the Admin/Event Viewer you'd see messages stating that the Windows "Volume Shadow Copy" (used to natively allow Retrospect to do OFB under XP) couldn't be started. On one Retro Pro system I temporarily tried a another of my Retro licenses that *includes* Dantz's optional OFB (which apparently doesn't use the XP VSC service) and the error went away. So there seems to be a problem with Microsoft's VSC service (or Retro or both...) on some systems.

Archived