Program Hangs during Immediate Backup on Windows XP

dklement

From the first attempt to backup my system using Immediate Backup on Windows XP, Retrospect hangs in two places:

1. "Scanning" the source data (it gets about 85% throught and hangs on the "Scanning" screen.

2. "Preparing for Open File Backup" IF I can get past #1 above, the program hangs on this step as well.

I am using Windows XP SP2 and tried backing up to both a NAS device and locally on the c: hard drive. Also, I have tried removing all virus protection and firewalls. The directions from the users manual were followed.

I have not been able to complete ANY backup yet!

Tell us about your NAS and C: drive.

What kind of NAS are you using? How is it connected (e.g. Ethernet, 10/100, USB, Firewire, other) to your PC? Routers, switches, hubs, etc.?

And your local C: drive. Is it an IDE or another type? Connected to the mobo or another IDE card? It does seem to be a little odd to be backing *from* the C: (although you didn't say that) *to* the C: even as a test. Don't know if OFB would get confused by this. Also, IDE to IDE on the same IDE chain can really slow things down (but it *should* work...).

And what are you backing up (all C:? All C: excluding cache files? just some directories, just some files or file types, etc.)?

You are right on about the "C:" backup. This was done purely as a test. I tried to backup a small amount of data in a subfolder of My Documents to My Documents on the same system. I doing all this on a laptop with the factory harddrive so my guess is that I am working off IDE.

The NAS is a product called "LinkStation 250GB Network Storage Center". I connected it to an admittedly odd network configuration where I have a PC acting as the router for Internet connections. It (the PC) is plugged directly into a Linksys Router/Access Point that I am actually just using as a network bridge to allow wireless devices - such as my laptop - to access the network and share the Internet connection with the PC (which has the direct connection). The NAS is also connected to the Linksys 'bridge' with an CAT5 cable. As strange as this sounds, it works and I have been able to create a network drive on my laptop to the NAS. Also, I have copied the entire contents of "My Documents" (several Gig on my laptop) directly to the NAS over this network so I know the connection is valid. Also, when I set-up my workstation in Retrospect and used browse to set the backup destination location, I was able to find the NAS on the network.

I want to backup all of C: and then evenually set-up a good disaster recovery system. There is a lot of data but at one point I let this process run all night and it still was never was able to complete it.

Nate,

Yes, I have the latest (bought it last week). I double checked the version. It is the same.

The assumption is correct. I just tried your suggestion and it seems to be working! At the current rate, my backup will not be complete until tomorrow so for now I will assume you fixed the problem. THANKS!!!!!!

Dave K.

Archived