Using Retrospect 6.5 with Maxtor One-Touch Backup

bonedoc

Hello,

Hope I'm in the right section of the forum. I bought Retrospect 6.5 professional after having gotton Retrospect Express with my Maxtor One-Touch USB backup drive. It worked so well I decided to upgrade to the 6.5 but there is a problem. When I try to utilize 6.5 with the One-Touch feature of the backup drive it does not work. I can designate the executable for 6.5 as the appropriate executable for the One-Touch feature but when I push the button on the drive Retrospect 6.5 loads but it does not initiate the One-Touch script.

Hope that I have made myself clear. Hope someone can help me. Since I use the backup One-Touch feature frequently (almost daily) I've been unable to use the 6.5 upgrade because of my inability to configure the One-Touch button.

G. Richardson MD

So Howard and I agree on something. I'm constantly surprised at how many folks think the One-Touch feature is that great (issues with Retro versions, can only do one backup, does a data dupe rather than an incremental backup, only works with the Maxtor drive, etc.). On the otherhand, as Howard suggests, running Retro from a script (menu, desktop shortcut, etc.) isn't much harder, is far more flexible and works with any version of Retrospect.

Quote:

So Howard and I agree on something. I'm constantly surprised at how many folks think the One-Touch feature is that great (issues with Retro versions, can only do one backup, does a data dupe rather than an incremental backup, only works with the Maxtor drive, etc.). On the otherhand, as Howard suggests, running Retro from a script (menu, desktop shortcut, etc.) isn't much harder, is far more flexible and works with any version of Retrospect.

Uh oh, somebody agrees with me, I better rethink my position!

Hi

Go to the "run" menu at the top of the screen in Retropsect, select the one touch script and create a "run document". Once you save the run document to your disk close Retrospect.

Open the Maxtor one touch software and go to the one touch button tab. Click browse and browse to the run document you just saved.

From now on the one touch button will kick off the script associated with the run document.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Go to the "run" menu at the top of the screen in Retropsect, select the one touch script and create a "run document". Once you save the run document to your disk close Retrospect.

Open the Maxtor one touch software and go to the one touch button tab. Click browse and browse to the run document you just saved.

From now on the one touch button will kick off the script associated with the run document.

Thanks

Nate

That method won't work for me.

My arms are not long enough to reach the button, at least not without stretching a bit, don't want to pull a muscle!

Easier to click on the Run menu.

Ayup, I sure am lazy!

Hi

Agreed, if that button is farther away than my beer fridge I'm not interested wink.gif

Personally I just like the run document idea. Having an icon on the desktop to kick off a script is really handy. Especially when you have inexperineced users in charge of the backup.

Nate

Archived