Retrospect 6.5 (latest updates) tape capacity error/identifying problem

ddemon

I am using a Powervault 110T VS160 with Retrospect 6.5 Pro.

All hardware settings, drivers, connections are up to date or without error.

Alls is working fine, beside the fact, that the Windows inbound Backup Software has no problem to

write the full capacity of the VS-1 tape, uncrompressed, 80 GB (transfer rate set to 40).

The Retrospect Software did not. After 40 GB it requested another tape(at a set transfer rate of 160). Is there any known problem with Retrospect spotting VS-1 tape capacity at that transfer rate? Retrospect has an inacceptable length of backing up with a transfer rate set to 40 (will last 12h +).

Both backups had verifying activated.

I have studied some of the forums entries, but nothing was helpful with this. I hope i did not miss something. In that case, just paste the links, which i missed ;=)

Thanks alot for help with this strange behavior.

Only 1 time for editing. well bit strange, therefor this way then:

In case somebody chases this as a logical error:

"[...]The Retrospect Software did not. After 40 GB it requested another tape(at a set transfer rate of 160). Is there any known problem with Retrospect spotting VS-1 tape capacity at that transfer rate? Retrospect has an inacceptable length of backing up with a transfer rate set to 40 (will last 12h +).[...] "

It should have been like this:

The Retrospect Software did not. After 40 GB it requested another tape(at a set transfer rate of 40 OR 160). Is there any known problem with Retrospect spotting VS-1 tape capacity ? (Retrospect has an inacceptable length of backing up with a transfer rate set to 40 (will last 12h+ and requests two tapes...).

Hi

Transfer rate and capacity are unrelated.

Retrospect writes until the physical end of the media is reached. It simply writes as much data to tape as possible. When the tape ends, Retrospect asks for another one.

Are you using encryption on your backup sets? Did you enable hardware data compression when you created the backup set?

Thanks

Nate

No,

no encryption and no compression ist activated, due to the fact, that the data is partial already compressed.

this problem ist solved.

The other problem is, that under Retrospect the backup procedure is always ending with the same error message(error 102 troubled communication)

The Software ist running on a Poweredge with Powervault Storage system and a Powervault 110T.

All drivers have been updated with the latest available drivers.

All cables (necessary) have been exchanged with brand new.

There are no errors in the device manager or anywhere else.

And, if this is not enough, using the Windows backup software (just for testing the PV 110t functionality) there is no problem. It is writing the full capacity of 80 GB uncompressed.

It is interesting, that such a "simple" Software like NTBackup has no problems, but a "professional" Software like Retrospect is not able to perform the same task without errors.

This is not written with the intention to flame around, im just wondering what the problem ist.

thanks for your interest.

Does this also include the windows ASPI driver or only the orignial device driver from dell?

Maybe a dumb question, but as far as i know, the aspi driver is responsible for the handling between the scsi hardware and software related communication.

thanks a lot

Hi

No need to disable ASPI but we can try that later if necessary.

Just disable the device driver in windows device manager.

ASPI is developed by Adaptec. Windows has a similar function (NT SCSI Passthrough) built into the OS. Retrospect can use either one.

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

disabling the device driver is working.

thx alot, although, in my opinion, this is a little bit strange to kick a device to enable

the device working properly under the designated software.

But i will not complain, due to the fact, that it is working now.

thx alot.

Archived