Confirming its really a bootable CD

JDHam

I have created a back-up disaster recovery iso image with Retrospect Express 6.0.

I want to confirm that the CD is bootable on my Dell PC. I tried...for example, when Windows 2000 was fully loaded and the Windows desktop screen was visible on my PC screen, I placed the CD with the iso image in my CD drive. The drive spun but the restore software did not load.

Is there a method to confirm whether (or not) the CD is bootable? During boot-up? From Windows?

I ran into a heap of trouble in trying to do exactly what you are trying to do. First I created a disaster recovery iso image that was bootable (Nero has a special tab for that). The disk booted and loaded an elementary version of Windows into my system. In doing so it wiped out the existing version of Windows. And then it wasn't able to see my Maxtor USB2 OneTouch. The only solution offered by Dantz tech was to reinstall Windows from scratch. I was using Retrospect Express 6.0.222 OEM.

Thanks. Sounds like I should not attempt to try to boot a working system that is not experiencing a disaster. I would like to explore my the CD's files to simply determine if it has the right files on it to make it bootable in the event that I have a disaster to recover from.

I use a Roxio product for burning -- after burning the iso image file to a CD, can tell me what additional files were burned by Nero to your CD to make it bootable? There does not appear to be a specific switch in the Roxio product to confirm that I am making a system bootable CD.

You can refer to my post of 07/23/04 "Retrospect Horror Story" for more details on my experience booting a Retrospect Express disaster recovery disk (p. 13 of this forum). I am presently using Nero 5.5.10.56. Nero Express is part of the basic Nero, just a more slick interface. It seems to be different than the one I used previously. In any case, among the options given for burning a disk are:

Choice One:

Data Disc

Bootable Data Disc

Choice Four:

Record a disc from disc image previously burned onto the hard drive.

If I remember correctly, it was this latter choice (Four) that I was told to use by tech support.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived