Unable to enter setup

DerTolleDude

Hi,

If have just installed my Maxtor OneTouch2 drive and the Dantz software. Everything seemed to go well during the install. I can acces and format the drive from the windows explorer. However, when I open Retrospect Express HD, I get a screen saying "Welcome to Retrospect Express HD for the Maxtor OneTouch....Updating status.....0 restore points available..."

And that's it!!! If I press the button "setup" (which is the only selectable button) nothing happens! I cannot acces anything nor setup any backup process.

I am using winxp home sp2. I tried all the usual things like deinstall and reinstall and removing the config10 files. I also tried shutting down the firewall and virusscan. All without result.

Can anybody help me??? frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I'm experiencing the same troubles.

I'm running Win2003Server (Enterprise), and Retrospect Express HD that came with our Maxtor OneTouch II drive. Likewise, Windows Explorer sees the drive and I can format it from Windows without difficulty. However, similarly, the SETUP button is non functional and I am NEVER prompted to Register. The Restore button does bring up the Restore Point calendar for me, but of course, with nothing yet backed up, there's nothing to restore.

Have installed/uninstalled/reinstalled, etc... Am connected via USB2.0 and the drivers appear to be installed happily. Am logged in as my administratator equavalent user self. I admin the domain with this account, and it is the Domain Controller, so I doubt that my user rights are in question here.

This was purchased as an interim DR solution, so the fact that this is not working is a major hinderance. It'd be a shame to have to return the drive because the free software doesn't work as advertised...

John M. Schneider

Technical Support

ATSI

Chicago, IL

jschneider@thetaxdefenders.com

Hi,

I am logged in as an administrator and I am able to close the application with the X in the top. Another 'feature' of this bug is that if I right click on the icon in the taskbar and click on backup now, nothing happens. If I run the application then from the start menu, close it with the X and then right click on the icon in the task bar, the backup now is grayed out...

Like JSchneider mentions in his post, I also was never prompted to register.

Thanks for the respons,

Boromir

Likewise, I can use the context menu from the icon in the system tray, select backup now, to no effect. I can close the app with the close icon (top right). Maxtor OneTouch does also launch it, but to no avail.

I have opened a case: #1-5392072

-- JMS

Per Technical Support:

Retrospect Express HD does not work on any Server implementation. I am required to 'upgrade' to Retrospect Single=Server (SKU SU21A006500) for $279.00 (MSRP $699.00).

-- sigh -- Nothing like DOUBLING my budget, especially when none of the propaganda or skant documentation mentions any of that. I think MAXTOR would probably fart kittens if they thought that they could potentially lose lots of sales due to returns because of this oversight.

Merry Xmas,

-- JMS

Archived