Assert error w/Maxtor OneTouch

fcatalano

I'm running Retrospect 6.0.206 with a 250GB Maxtor OneTouch drive on a Dell Dimension w/1GB RAM with no problems for several months. Suddenly, I'm getting an Assert Error (with no obvious error code) right after Retrospect scans my hard disk and matches the catalog on two previous backup sets. I've tried creating a new backup set on the OneTouch, but the Assert Error also occurs right after the hard disk file scan and the backup is about to begin again, with no obvious error code.

I was able to back up fine, with no errors, a week ago before leaving on a business trip to the same two different backup sets on the OneTouch. But last night after returning, I found I couldn't back up. There have been no new programs or configuration changes in between.

I've run Norton Utilities and ScanDisk on both the primary drive and the OneTouch with no errors found. I've also done (as Tech Note 307 recommends) a search file restore to check both of the two existing Retrospect catalogs, and they don't appear to be corrupted, as the search file restore works.

Looking at the asset_log.utx, the consistent entries in all attempts are:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Fault address: 6351CF34 0001:0001BF34 PCVLDRVR.DLL

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Frank Catalano

OK, this series of assert errors is not a Maxtor OneTouch problem, but a general Retrospect problem.

I tried to do a test File backup to my primary hard disk (not the Maxtor) from Retrospect, selecting a small subset of files. As before, when it finished scanning the hard disk files and got to "Preparing to execute..." it stopped with the apparently the same Assert Error and the same two entries as every previous attempt in the assert_log.utx file:

Fault address: 6351CF34 0001:0001BF34 PCVLDRVR.DLL

Any suggestions?

Frank

OK, it's not the config files (having read about them in other threads). I removed them and had Retrospect recreate them -- same exact error at the same exact place.

I'm about at the point of uninstalling and reinstalling Retrospect so I can back up my hard disk. Anyone else have another idea before I do this? Thanks.

Frank

AAARGH!

I actually did just uninstall Retrospect 6.0 Professional (which has worked fine for a long time, up until this problem) and replaced it, instead installing the Retrospect 6.0 Express that came with the Maxtor OneTouch. But it still crashes at the same exact place with the same exact error.

Help.

Clean install? Some other file to check? I'm lost. And I need to back up this hard disk.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the days when I started using Retrospect, more than a decade ago, and even helped Larry Zulch get Retrospect stocked in the Egghead corporate catalog when I worked in Egghead's corporate HQ in marketing, I've been impressed with Dantz' commitment to quality, customer support and tech support. I've purchased and used Retrospect on multiple Windows and Mac systems, and have recommend it heartily to friends, colleagues and TV/radio audiences when I was doing technology commentary.

Not so much anymore, I'm afraid.

My several posts here have been met with no response from other users, but more surprisingly, none from Dantz itself. The problem I've described in detail is a bizarre one that came on suddenly, with no changes in my configuration, with very specific errors. I have searched the Knowledge Base, Forum and every other section I can think of for a solution before posting here. There has been no support forthcoming. Nor do I think paying $70 -- more than the cost of an upgrade -- to resolve this problem is worth it unless there's a guarantee it will be resolved. Even upgrading isn't worth it unless it comes with that guarantee.

Sorry, Dantz, you've disappointed me. It's probably time for me to look for another backup solution. Best of luck following the acquisition -- it appears the individual user may no longer be a target market.

Frank Catalano

Hi

Does this same error occur when you try to do duplicates rather than backups?

Have you tried doing backups to a new catalog file or rebuilding your existing catalog file?

Have you done any Windows updates or installed any other software lately?

After you did the uninstall of Retrospect and rebooted the machine where there any files left over in the C:\program files\Dantz\Retrospect directory?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

Never tried doing a duplicate, but I can try that.

I have tried doing backups to a new catalog file and they fail the same way. Rebuilding a catalog file didn't seem necessary because I was able to do a selective file restore from existing catalogs (the ones I wanted to back up to originally) with no problem.

No Windows updates were performed, nor any new software installed, since the previous successful backup. The computer was backed up, turned off, I went out of town for a week, turned it on, did some work -- and was unable to back up.

I don't know if any files were left in the C:\program files\Dantz\Retrospect directory, as I did not check when I did the uninstall-reinstall. I did whatever the standard uninstall/reinstall under Add/Remove Programs does.

I greatly appreciate this response, by the way. Any suggestions based on the above? Or is there a file that could have gotten corrupted somehow?

Frank

Nate:

Just tried a duplicate instead of a backup. Same failure at the exact same place, but with a slightly different fault address than all of my backup attempts:

Fault address: 77C435B3 0001:000325B3 msvcrt.dll

Does this help with a diagnosis? Or should I do a complete clean install (and if so, how do I accomplish that)? Thanks.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Archived