Error -557 transaction already complete

cgtyoder

What does this error really mean? I am getting it when backing up a networked Win98 client. The relevant part from the logfile:

- 11/18/2004 5:30:05 PM: Copying Drive C (C:) on Karen

11/18/2004 5:30:05 PM: Connected to Karen

File "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsys.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

Trouble reading files, error -557 (transaction already complete)

11/18/2004 6:36:05 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 15166 files, 822.4 MB

Completed: 22939 files, 1.2 GB, with 38% compression

Performance: 17.7 MB/minute

Duration: 01:06:00 (00:00:58 idle/loading/preparing)

I am running Retrospect Single Server 6.5.350, Driver Update 5.4.110 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, all updates applied. Client is Win98 (not SE), Retrospect Client 6.5.136.

I am backing up 3 other clients - 2 Win2K and 1 WinXP Pro, which have had no problems. This is the third night of backups since Retrospect was installed, and the first two nights had no (real) problems.

Can anyone give more details about this error? Thanks for the help.

Now I am getting

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

On the Win98 client, as well as a W2K Pro client, causing, of course, backup to be terminated on these machines. Another W2K Pro client and the XP Pro client are working fine. Both W2K Pro clients are at the same patch level, i.e., totally up-to-date.

Hi

The 1020 error means the file was in use when the backup ran so Retrospect couldn't access it. You will need to figure out what program was using that file at the time the backup ran.

The 557 leads me to believe there is a problem with the network driver on the Windows 98 machine. I would try uninstalling the network card in device manager, rebooting the machine and reinstalling it.

The 519 means that network connectivity was cut off somehow. Does the 519 error happen every time you back up now?

Thanks

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

The -1020 error is fine and understandable; I don't care about that.

I will try the un/reinstall of the network driver on the Win98 machine.

> The 519 means that network connectivity was cut off somehow.

> Does the 519 error happen every time you back up now?

It has happened 10 out of the last 15 backups (backups happen every weeknight). It it now only happening on the Win2K machine; the Win98 is not having the Error -519 problems any more. (So maybe I won't mess with the Win98 NIC...)

I am not seeing the Error -557 any more.

Thanks for any help,

Conrad

• 1 month later...

Well, the Win98 box is now gone, and the -557 error has not happened since 11/08/04, so it looks like that issue is closed.

Regarding the -519 error, as previously mentioned, the W2KPro PC is rebooting itself during the night. It looks to be some type of hardware problem, which will need to be pursued independently. Thanks for all the tips.

-Conrad

Archived