Folder nesting too deep, contents ignored

klubar

I'm getting a "Folder nesting too deep, contents ignored" error when I try to back up a mounted server (e.g., \\HYDRA\admin\home\klubar\.open...). Does Retrospect get confused by shortcuts/aliases/links?

I couldn't find any references to this error in any of the documentation.

thanks

Quote:

Hi

Retrospect has the same limitations of the OSes involved. How long is the path name and what OSes are you using?

Thanks

Nate

The limit is dependent of the file system, not the OS.

Retrospect cannot do anything about this, unless there's a bug in Retrospect.

In MS-DOS, way back when, it was possible to CREATE a path that was too long to be used.

Perhaps, that crock is still buried in the current file systems?

I've not checked in about 19 years!

Quote:

Thanks for the correction Howard.

It is indeed in the file system.

I know that in Windows98/Fat32 it is possible to create file and path names that are too long to copy elsewhere. I haven't seen it on any systems that use NTFS though...

Nate

The problem is inherent in the (mis)design of the FAT file systems.

I've not tried with NTFS.

• 4 weeks later...

This was trying to back up a mounted linux SMB drive. Perhaps retrospect gets confused when it follows a symbolic link that points backs to the same directory. If course it would be helpful if retrospect displayed the full file name so I could confirm this. As usual, Retrospect has the world's most cryptic (and uncomprehensible) error messages. The UI of retrospect is certainly a "what were they thinking. The good news about the awlful design of retrospect is that it creates good job security. Once you've set up a retrospect back system, your boss is scared to fire you as no one else will ever figure it out!

Quote:

This was trying to back up a mounted linux SMB drive. Perhaps retrospect gets confused when it follows a symbolic link that points backs to the same directory. If course it would be helpful if retrospect displayed the full file name so I could confirm this. As usual, Retrospect has the world's most cryptic (and uncomprehensible) error messages. The UI of retrospect is certainly a "what were they thinking. The good news about the awlful design of retrospect is that it creates good job security. Once you've set up a retrospect back system, your boss is scared to fire you as no one else will ever figure it out!

I have not directly used *ix in about 6 years, but I would expect that retrospect us relying on the linux file system to resolve the file path. Indeed, that's what I would expect any app to do on any OS with any file system. An app has no business acting as its own file system.

Of course, if retrospect does not provide a large enough buffer for the file sysem to store the resolved path, that's a problem.

Hey now klubar,

Its not perfect but it does the job well. The Retrospect UI has never been terribly popular in any of its forms. I think its just an indication of how complex backup software has to be even for basic functionality. We are always working on it though.

Depending on the SAMBA version some of the old Fat32 limitations may still apply. I suspect you would have better luck with a newer Samba version.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hey now klubar,

Its not perfect but it does the job well. The Retrospect UI has never been terribly popular in any of its forms. I think its just an indication of how complex backup software has to be even for basic functionality. We are always working on it though.

Come on now!.

A backup UI need not be complex, the retrospect ui was just badly designed and inadequately reviewed prior to implementation and release.

This is not uncommon when bright implementors are left to their own devices.

Archived