IBM Ultrium 3584 Fiber support

waldorfm

Hello,

I have to utilize an IBM Ultirum 3584 via Library Fiber channel and have problems.

First Retrospect 6.5.350 did not see it. Than I upgraded FRU from 5.0 to 5.4 and now I can see the media changer.

The library has only 2 drives, and we don't have a Retrospect license to utilize more than 2 drives, but that would be ok for now. However, it does not work. It looks to me as it is confusing the drives - it's loading the tape into one drive but thinks it's in the other and doesn't find it.

I believe 3582 is supported by Retrospect, but how about 3584. Any chance?

Best regards,

Markus Waldorf

Hello,

Unfortunately it has only fiber. Actually the Retrospect scsi device manager see's the drive scsi ID's except the media changer, which crawls in with the tape drive. I asked the guy from EMC who installed the fiber channel, and he said that the tape library cannot configured so that the media changer has it's own scsi id. We are using Retrospect in the company for over 10 years now, and I would really prefer to stick with it, in particular since we have several EMC's, but I'm afraid that I will be forced to use brightstor if I cannot get the damned IBM library to work with it. Is there really no chance?

Thanks and best regards,

Markus Waldorf

Well, I was forced to remove the last mac retrospect server about 3 month ago - long story. I would not mind at all, but it does not look like there will be any chance to switch to a Mac server anymore. What comes out of the fiber-channel is actually scsi. I'm not sure what you mean by Retrospect for Windows does not work with the fiber-chanel - it seems to work with it, at least it can see the drives and stream the data, but the problem is with the autoloader support, which cannot be disabled or enabled on the 3854 model. On the other 385x, autoloader can be disabled which is necessary if the software provides the autoloading mechanism, but the 3854 does not have the autoloader configuration feature and interferes with the retrospect device manager. The whole situation sucks.

It looks I found a working solution. The problem was that if I move a tape into drive 1 it goes into drive 2, which is wrong. I enabled "control path" on the 2nd drive at the console of the 3584 library , which was disabled. Now Retrospect sees the library on the 2 drives. I disabled the scsi id of the 1st drive in the retrospect environment.

I did a few tests, such as erasing, naming and moving tapes around within the retrospect device manager. It seems working fine.

Archived