Retrospect Express Hangs

ritagoldberg

Please forgive me as a real newby here if my description replicates other posts and you are all tired of seeing messages about the solution.

I have a brand new Maxtor One Touch II. Everything seems fine except that Express hangs after about 3-4 minutes. The only way I can close the program is to turn off the drive--can't stop it because it thinks that the backup is still in progress. I also noticed that when the program is running, CPU use ranges between 99% and 100%, even though it may have been 10 or 15% before the program started. This seems like a lot, but I really don't know--remember, I'm a newby.

I'm using Windows 98 and seem to have plenty of memory and resources. I don't know if this is a clue, but, if I don't close down Zone Alarm, I can see that the computer accesses the internet while Express is working. When it hangs, it no longer access the internet. Should this be happening?

Can someone tell me what the typical problems are, and, more important, how to solve them?

Many thanks!

Rita... You do mention something about backup. Are you pressing the push button on the OneTouch? If so, I think you are doing a Duplicate instead of a Backup. Did you try doing a backup by running Retrospect Express itself? By that, I mean go to Start\All Programs\Retrospect and run it. Also, what version of Retrospect Express do you have?

Thanks for your comments. I've tried all kinds of things, but mostly just starting Retrospect Express. It always hangs after a couple of minutes. My guess is that the issue is software related since I can copy files from my c: drive to the Maxtor drive (f:) without any trouble. I'm using Retrospect Express HD, version 1.0.196, which came with my Maxtor drive.

Hi

If you let the backup run for a while does the hang resolve itself? It may be that Retrospect is scanning the hard drive just prior to doing the backup. Windows 98 doesn't share CPU time as well as 2000/XP do. It may be just a matter of waiting for Retrospect to get the CPU intensive file scan out of the way.

The zone alarm thing you can ignore. Retrospect does not access the internet. Zone alarm just thinks it does.

Thanks

Nate

Yup, I thought that might be the issue since things move quite slowly. However, the program hangs after 2-4 minutes, not immediately. The Close Program box tells me that it's not running, which seems pretty definitive. Sometimes it succeeds in backing up 60 or 150 MB or so and then hangs. I've deleted the config10.bak and .dat files and also reinstalled the program several times, but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for the info on Zone Alarm.

Hi

I wonder if this isn't a problem with the USB drivers on your machine? I had a heck of a time getting a USB2 controller to work on my windows 98 machines.

If you have the room, try setting up Retrospect to store the backup data on your internal hard drive. This will help us rule out the one touch disk or the USB connection as the source of the problem.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

There's not enough room on my hard drive to store a complete backup, but I did try backing up several directories. Unfortunately, the result was always the same: after a while Retrospect stopped responding.

By the way, a few days ago I did a full disk scan and defrag.

Now what?

Rita

Hi

Try running the msconfig utility from the "run" item in the Windows start menu. This will allow you to turn off extra programs that run when the machine starts up. Disable as many of those startup programs as you can and then try running Retrospect again.

Thanks

Nate

Hi, Nate

As you suggested, I used msconfig to disable the programs listed there. This helped a tiny bit, that is, the backup reached about 500 MB instead of the 50 or 100 MB it had been attaining on those occasions when it actually backed up something. The same thing happens if I backup or duplicate. It's as though there's a buffer that gets filled or some sort of memory issue--but I'm no expert, and I hesitate to give my theories. I'm able to copy folders to the Maxtor drive using the normal copy and paste, but I can't do a backup.

I look forward to your further suggestions.

Rita

Nate,

Here is additional information on what happens when I attempt a backup. I have now installed the trial version of Retrospect 6.5 and am using that instead of Retrospect Express because it provides more information.

1. I can't stop the Maxtor drive and receive the following message: The storage device Mxtor One Touch II canot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later. However, no matter how long I wait or how many times I try, the drive won't stop.

2. When backing up my C: drive, Retrospect stops after a few megabytes. If I close one of the programs that is also running, it will copy a few more MB. Eventually the computer freezes anyway. If I use msconfig so that the programs don't load when I start the computer, Retrospect soon freezes anyway.

3. Sometimes a blue screen appears with the Message: Disk Write Error. Unable to write to disk in drive F:. Data or files may be lost. Press any key to continue. If I press a key, copying will sometimes resume for a few MB, but then the computer freezes again. In addition, most of the screen stays black after I press a key and I can only see a few sections of the images on the screen.

4. When I use HP Systems Diagnostics to see which programs are running, I see that retrorun.exe is listed twice. Is this correct? There's also something called pstores.exe In the devices list, HP system diagnostics lists the Maxtor One Touch II twice, one of them with a yellow exclamation point.

I don't know if any of this is meaningful, and I do look forward to your help.

Rita

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the additional information. Its pretty clear that either:

A) The drivers for your USB card or external drive are not working properly

or

B) the drive is faulty.

The write errors, hangs and blue screen are a dead giveaway. If you drag and drop a large number of files to the external drive do you run into the same kind of problems?

Unfortunately you will probably need to reinstall drivers for the USB card and the external drive.

Thanks

Nate

Archived