DVD-R showing "unknown status" and "write protected"

pbwbgs

I'm using 6.5.336 with DVD-R media. All has been well for about 4 months, but yesterday retrospect asked for a new disc (although the other wasn't full by any means). Any disc I feed it is shown as having "unknown status", and if selected an error pops up saying the disc is "write protected". I've tried several discs, of two different brands. I've tried making a new backup set, restarting my PC and reinstalling Retrospect. Nothing has worked.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nate,

The only new software has been security patches for Windows (2000) and IE via Windows Update. This is corporate policy, so I can't go removing them! However, this issue didn't seem to coincide with any particular update. The device is listed as SONY DVD-R - RDI (TAO) with the following details: Vendor SONY, Product DVD RW DW-U14A, Revision 1.0d. It was configured through the wizard.

I forgot to mention that the drive works perfectly with Nero.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Can Retrospect read the discs you burned previously or is every disc giving you trouble?

This drive is natively supported with Retrospect driver update 4.9 and above. It should work without running the auto configuration. Have you applied any Retrospect updates?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived