HDD Backup - Choose File or HD?

tbrox

I have just upgraded from 5.5 workgroup to 6.5 SBS. I backup to HDD and have always used the backup to file feature. I now see that you have a backup to HDD option. I have noticed that this creates several smaller files. Is there an advantage over choosing HDD over File or the other way around? I kinda like file because it's easier to look at and see if the date has changed. The only other reason I can see is that if the removable HDD is formatted in FAT32 the multiple files are small so they don't exceed the file system capabilities. Please comment.

You're right about the several small files with the Disk backup type. Dantz claims that this is also more robust (e.g. a problem with one file doesn't effect all of them--but I've never heard it stated that *a* corrupted file in an HDD set can be ignored while the others work).

However, the Disk backup type has a *serious* limitation--the inabilty to specify a save location. For this reason I'm still using File for all my dest->hd backups until Dantz addresses this.

Hi

Disk is much better in my opinion. Its also faster in my tests. Its also less vulnerable to surface failures on the disk. If one part of the disk goes bad you only lose the backup files that were on that part of the disk rather than corrupting the entire backup file.

GoAwest - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. When you add a member to a disk backup set you can specify a disk or a folder to save the data in. Are you looking for a different type of functionality?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

GoAwest - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. When you add a member to a disk backup set you can specify a disk or a folder to save the data in. Are you looking for a different type of functionality?

Thanks

Nate

How?

When I try to create a Disk backup set and enter the Destination submenus, I'm presented with a Name and Disk dialog. If I click on the [select] button, it brings up a list of the disks in my system. It does *not* allow me to navigate to or select any subfolders on any of these disks.

Hi

Its way more convoluted than it should be but try this:

-In the backup set properties window add a member to a backup set.

-Go to properties for that member and it will have a browse button.

-Click it, select the drive again and you will have another browse button available.

-Select the folder where you want to keep the backup data

Retrospect will still keep the usual folder hierarchy but it will create it within the folder you specify.

I also suspect you could do a small backup, move the files to the location of choice and then rebuild the catalog file from those files.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Its way more convoluted than it should be but try this:

-In the backup set properties window add a member to a backup set.

-Go to properties for that member and it will have a browse button.

-Click it, select the drive again and you will have another browse button available.

-Select the folder where you want to keep the backup data

Retrospect will still keep the usual folder hierarchy but it will create it within the folder you specify.

I also suspect you could do a small backup, move the files to the location of choice and then rebuild the catalog file from those files.

Thanks

Nate

You're right, but yuch...

Also, just to clarify something. let's say I have a Disk backup set with N parts. If one of those parts is corrupted (first, one in the middle, last) can I recover the files in the remaing non-corrupted part(s) even though one of the parts is not available?

Yes.

For example the second rdb file in a backup set gets hosed beyond recognition. When you run a catalog rebuild Retrospect will tell you one of the files is damaged/missing and will ask if you want to rebuild anyway without that file. Thats how it works for me, but I have only done some basic tests. You might just want to try a test of this on your own.

Depending on the type of corruption the rebuild could possibly get stuck on some bad rdb files. Worst case scenario you would have to identify which rdb files are damaged, move them out of the folder and run the rebuild.

Overall it is a lot more forgiving than a partially corrupt file backup set.

Thanks

Nate

Archived