Disaster Recovery Bootable CD-R

scottnichols

Created CD will not boot on my system (have changed bios to boot from CD)

Information

Dantz Pro for windows 6.5.350 (just purchased and received 11/05/2004)

one computer system running W2K Pro

Manual backup went well (to G:\ a second HD on my system)

Creat recovery CD-R (was created on G:\ as ISO file this went well also)

EZ CD creator used to create and burn the bootable CD

CD Burner Lite-On LTR 24102B

EZ CD Creator Proceedure

Project selector

Make Data CD

File (drop down)

Select (Record CD from CD image)

Files Type drop down box (select ISO image files *.iso)

Record CD setup window (selection)

burned two CD's one with Track at Once and one with Disc at once.

Neather one was able to boot the system. Anyone have any suggestions.

I would realy like to see this work. My previous back system was Roxio Take Two which worked very well except for the amount of time it took to do a full backup and you did not have the ability to update the back up files to a current state.

Thank You

Quote:

Created CD will not boot on my system (have changed bios to boot from CD)

Information

Dantz Pro for windows 6.5.350 (just purchased and received 11/05/2004)

one computer system running W2K Pro

Manual backup went well (to G:\ a second HD on my system)

Creat recovery CD-R (was created on G:\ as ISO file this went well also)

EZ CD creator used to create and burn the bootable CD

CD Burner Lite-On LTR 24102B

EZ CD Creator Proceedure

Project selector

Make Data CD

File (drop down)

Select (Record CD from CD image)

Files Type drop down box (select ISO image files *.iso)

Record CD setup window (selection)

burned two CD's one with Track at Once and one with Disc at once.

Neather one was able to boot the system. Anyone have any suggestions.

I would realy like to see this work. My previous back system was Roxio Take Two which worked very well except for the amount of time it took to do a full backup and you did not have the ability to update the back up files to a current state.

Thank You

Have you verified that the CDs are actually bootable?

Are the files actually on the CD, or does it have only the image file?

Use a program such as ISO Buster to check out the CDs.

Has anyone created a disaster recovery disk using Retro 6.5 for Win Pro and EZ CD creator platinum and followed the manual and the knowledge base information and is having a problem?? besides me. 15 coasters later finally went to CD-RW. I am beginning to believe that this program is incapable of creating a CD that is bootable for a disaster recovery. I have tried all different ways the only place that I see that could be the problem is when you are in the retro program doing the disaster recovery burning the iso image is when it ask you for the Windows installation disk and click next. If i insert W2K Pro disk in any drive that disk will boot and show the install screen at this time you have two choices to exit the install disk or to view the contents of the W2K Pro disk I have tried both. The Retro 6.5 program seems to steer you toward selecting the i386 file in the W2K installation disk and selecting the textsetup.sif file tried this way also. Read in the current knowledge base that Retro 6.5 will not attempt to burn the CD but will create a iso image file only and the you burn the iso image to a CD with your CD burning software all well and good the created CD will not boot. Does anyone possible have a suggestion or work around ??

My thoughts is that if you can't do the diaster recovery what good is the software ??

Thank You

Quote:

Hello

Howard Kaikow

Thank you for the response. Yes their is 63 files and two folders with files on the created CD. I don't understand when you say to verify if they are bootable ?? please give a short story. Question what does ISO Buster check for

Thank you

ISO Buster allows you to examine a CD to determine what file systems are used.

If the CD is bootable, ISO Buster will identify it as such.

If ISO Buster identifies the CD as BOOTABLE CD, then you will need to contact Dantz to find out why the CD does not work.

I belive that the directories should be named Drivers and I386.

But first, make sure that your system's BIOS is set up to allow booting from a CD-ROM drive.

Hello All

Success at last

New burner

New burning software

Now on the boot the system will ask if I want to boot from a CD hit any key. with the Retro burned CD in any drive and off it goes and starts the process.

I guess the Lite-On 24102B burner or the EZ CD Creator Platinum software or any combination was causing the problem. I do remember when I loaded the EZ software on the system long ago running W2K Pro that you had to go through a patch sequence just to make it work. But I did use the Take Two software a lot to do full system backups. Time for a change.

Thank You to all that tried to help

Archived