Backup Multiple Computers With Express HD?

goeltz

Greetings:

Can Retrospect Express HD (One Touch II, V6.5 I think) back up multiple computers? It is putting both backups into the same RestorePoint and there is no sense that the two are identified as separate and can be restored separately.

I miss the good ol' days of Express V6 where it was diffucult to learn and understand but the user was in full control.

Thanks... Rick

Hi

If you miss the good ole days you can always upgrade to Retrospect 6.5 professional. That will allow you to back up a total of three machines without ever moving the drive from machine to machine.

Storing two computers worth of data in the same restore points directory shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Nate

Rick... If you are familiar with Retrospect Express 6 and were happy with it, I don't see why Dantz would not let you downgrade to that version at no charge rather than have you "upgrade" for $49.95 to Retrospect 6.5 Professional so you can backup 3 computers. With Retrospect Express 6 you can back up any number of computers.

Nate... You say that with Retrospect 6.5 Professional you can back up 3 computers without moving the drive from machine to machine. I am curious as to how Dantz can manage this without each computer being physically connected to the drive. Is it done "wirelessly"?

I think Rick meant that the computers are networked together, not standalones. I'm curious how one backs up multiple computers using Retrospect 6.0 Express. Of course Dantz says it is designed to back up 1 computer only, but can one backup two different computers without confusing the software? I'd like to back up my wife's laptop. She's got a single C: Drive. I've got multiple partitions on my desktop.

Thanks!

ATHiker.. I back up my desktop and my laptop manually to the same partition on my Maxtor USB2 OneTouch HD on a regular basis. This is the way I have it set up:

For desktop

When I click on Backup (Dantz Retrospect Express):

Sources: Drive C

Destination: Backup Set A

Selecting: All Files

Options: Verification off

For laptop

Click on Backup

Sources: Drive C

Destination: Backup Set B

Selecting: All Files

Options: Verification off

A scan is made of your C drive.

Then I am asked where I want to create the backup on the OneTouch. I choose the same partition for desktop and laptop. I am also asked to name the backup file. A separate file is created on the OneTouch for the desktop and for the laptop with their own names.

You might have to configure your backup sets to get what you want.

When I say to do this manually, I mean go to Start\All Programs\Retrospect 6. Do not push the button on the OneTouch. And of course you do have to connect each computer, one at a time, to the USB2 cord leading to the Maxtor OneTouch.

Things might appear complicated the first time you go through this, but in subsequent backups Retrospect remembers your choices and things become a breeze.

HTH

Hi

You can back up multiple machines/disks to the same backup set. Retrospect manages all of that for you. It keeps a seperate "snapshot" of each source volume within the backup set.

With Retrospect Professional you can backup the local machine plus two network clients. This means full system backups of the network machines (windows and everything). Retrospect express won't let you do that.

Thanks

Nate

Archived