didn't compare at offset 1,750,653 in stream "Data"

seaview

Hello,

I have just installed Retrospect 6.5.350

Windows XP Pro, 1G Ram.

Backing up to a second hard drive

Out of 8136 files and 6.6G backup first run I have 37 items like the above in the operations log. Where do I start looking? I have 1 x HDD for Windows XP. 1 x HDD for Data and 1 x HDD removable for Backup.

Thanks

Hi

It may be that there is a problem with the disk cache on your external drive. In device manager right click on the external drive, go to policies and optimize the drive for quick removal. Then try the backup again.

Are both drives formatted NTFS?

Thanks

Nate

The drive is not external. The drive is a standard IDE drive in a removable bay. To remove or install I power down the computer then restart.

Just for the excersise I removed the swapable drive and split the data drive into two partitions. I backed up from one partition to another but still had the same problems. The files that seem to have problems are not always the same. The files all seem to be large from 10M up to 600M. Small files have no problems but it is the big files I need backed up the most.

Both Drives are formated NTFS.

Optimise for quick removal on all HDD is greyed out and set to performance.

Hi

If disabling the write cache fixed the problem you have a hardware problem or a problem with your IDE controller drivers.

If both drives are on the same cable try moving one to the secondary IDE controller/cable. You may have better results.

Any idea what chipset is used on your motherboard? Chances are the maker of that chipset has updated drivers that may fix this.

Thanks

Nate

Ok spent a lot of time at this.

Formated two drives.

1 x 200G Seagate SATA.

1 X 200G Seagate IDE (Pata)

The SATA drive has a Data Partition. And a fresh Windows XP SP2 with no other software. No firewall antivirus or anythign other than a fresh install of Retrospect and the lattest drivers downloaded from your site today.

Both drives run directly off of the motherboard, no RAID functon.

I disable cache on both drives

I do a backup from the SATA drive Data to the IDE Drive and still get the exact same fault

All drivers for the mother board installed as of today.

Their is no activity or open files on the DATA drive.

I do the backup to the IDE drive and still get this fault on several files. The files are different each time.

I format a new SATA 200G HDD for BACKU and I use the other motherboard SATA connection and try to back up from one SATA to the Other. Same problem.

The fault only occurs if you do verify.

The mother board is a Gigabyte GI-8IPE 1000 pro 2

Windows XP Pro with SP2

450W high quality power supply.

1G DDR ram.

P4 2.8G processor

ATI 9200 Video Card

Drivers updated for the video card.

This is driving me crazy.

Any advice. I want 100% reliable backups.

What Have I missed?

Hi

The fact that the error only occurs when verification is on usually means one of two things:

-the data was damaged on its way to the destination disk

-the data was improperly written to the destination disk

Try this copy a bunch/ all of your files from the SATA to the IDE drive using windows. Then run a backup of the data on the IDE drive and save the data on the SATA. If the errors still happen it is likely a problem when the data goes from the IDE to the SATA controller.

Another thing to try would be to do a backup of the SATA drive to itself. i.e. store the backup data on the same drive.

I suppose another thing to check would be memory. A bad RAM chip could possibly cause a problem like this.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for that. I have documented the SATA and ATA transfer issue in another new thread. As mentioned the SATA to ATA is an issue but more importantly the Motherboard bios only wants to work with SATA or ATA not both. If it is SATA you have to go into the BIOS and deliberatly setup the SATA to map to the IDE 0 etc. You can have the IDE 0 channel empty and everything works fine until you backup. I guess there would be other errors occuring from time to time but when you backup nearly 100G of Data in one go the odd random file is likely to be corrupted if your system is not playing fair. Anyway look at the other post and feel free to comment on this. I am sure other people will get caught with this issue and many people will not even verify or check logs. With Acronis True Image it does not even do an automatic verify, you have to go into the software and do a manual verify.

I am using Acronis for drive image for quick recovery of system from CD boot and Retrospect for Archive and long term locating lost files or getting older versions of files.

Thanks for the help everyone, it is hard to diagnose a problem on someone elses computer.

Archived