Message received-"Execution stopped by operator"-program stops

jghillestad

Thanks for the response.

I have a Dell laptop connected to the Maxtor through a USB2.0 PCMCIA card. The file system on the drive is NTFS. My operating system is Windows XP with service pack 2 installed. The one-touch feature has worked since the service pack was installed. At this point I have not tried a system restore to a previous time.

Jerry

I think I may have a problem with something other than Retrospect. I took your advice and attempted to run chkdsk on all of my drives, my internal hard drive© and the three partitions I have allocated on the Maxtor external drive. Check disk will not complete on the partition of the Maxtor I use for the backup. I get the extremely useful message "Windows unable to complete the check disk". What I am tempted to do do now is to uninstall Retrospect, reformat the Maxtor and then reinstall the software. Do you have any suggestions that you think may be better? Thanks.

Jerry

Jerry... I have two backup files on one partition of my Maxtor OneTouch. I ran a chkdsk on this partition with no problem. I would suggest you format that partition only and try another backup. Instead of using the pushbutton feature, why don't you try running Retrospect manually. You have more control over what's going on this way I think.

My thanks to all who responded. The backup system is now working again, but not without a whole lot of manipulation. Basically, I uninstalled RE, reformatted the Maxtor and reinstalled RE. But I had to do it about three times before I was finally successful. After the first effort the program hung up on the compare phase, and after about 20 hours ground to a halt and locked up the machine. On the second effort it also got stuck during the compare phase after more than 24 hours with numerous errors when comparing files it shouldn't even have been copying. They were data files from software and not anything I had created (I had specified the Just Documents option in setting up the one-touch). After removing the files from the internal hard drive I tried the whole procedure again and this time it worked. It took 18 minutes to copy about 14000 files (a total of about 940 meg) and 145 minutes to do the compare phase. I am providing this performance data because I really don't know what to expect, but it seemed very slow. I would appreciate any comment on experiences others have had on how fast the scan and compares take on their machines. Thanks again.>

Archived