full recovery of c: drive

iaw4

I have just had a main system hard disk failure on XP. Fortunately, everything was backed up with retrospect 6.0 on an external hard disk. I went out to purchase another replacement harddisk, and did a restore. Alas, it does not boot.

I now believe retrospect has not backed up the MBR. is this correct?

I also know that my old volume had "unmovable" sectors when I defragmented it. the restored volume does not. would this be a problem for windows XP?

help appreciated.

sincerely,

/iaw4

Quote:

I have just had a main system hard disk failure on XP. Fortunately, everything was backed up with retrospect 6.0 on an external hard disk. I went out to purchase another replacement harddisk, and did a restore. Alas, it does not boot.

I now believe retrospect has not backed up the MBR. is this correct?

I also know that my old volume had "unmovable" sectors when I defragmented it. the restored volume does not. would this be a problem for windows XP?

help appreciated.

sincerely,

/iaw4

A random thought.

What brand of PC do you have?

A number of brands have an awful "hidden" partition on the C drive.

You have to first recreate that partition, in addition to formatting the drive.

If this is the case, the PC should have a tool for creating the partition.

I doubt that Retrospect backs up such partitions, but I guess Dantz can respond here to verify this.

Quote:

I now believe retrospect has not backed up the MBR.

I've restored to new drives several times. Never had a disk that wouldn't boot => I would guess that the problem isn't that the MBR wasn't copied. But, just to confirm, when setting up your backup, the C:\ was choosen as the source volume? And, you chose Restore - Entire Volume for the restore?

How do you know there aren't any 'unmoveable' sectors on the new volume? I.e., if the new, restored volume doesn't boot .....?

thanks for the answers. I have multiple PCs. The one where the backedup-and-now-dead drive came out of is a motion m1300---nice tablet PC, but no floppy drive. It also does not like to boot my windows/xp system disk from CD. (I wonder if it is the m1300 or the CD that is broken.) Now, I am pretty sure that there was no hidden partition on the drive---I checked it with partition magic.

Having a second amd64 (self assembled, working) means that I have the ability to put my new drive onto it as a USB device and do the restore there. this also allows me to ask windows on my other machine to check the restored drive, and so I can see that the restored partition has no "unmovable sectors" any longer. so, does your restored drive still have unmoveable sectors?

if only windows were as simple as linux in this situation...sigh! now I need to find out how to put a boot sector on the drive. This is not easy in itself, because it is not the system disk when hooked up to my amd64 system---and I believe that windows fdisk is not so very smart to take a 2nd drive as an argument.

IMHO, retrospect should really offer the option of backing up the MBR with the backup set itself.

regards, /ivo

Quote:

thanks for the answers. I have multiple PCs. The one where the backedup-and-now-dead drive came out of is a motion m1300---nice tablet PC, but no floppy drive. It also does not like to boot my windows/xp system disk from CD. (I wonder if it is the m1300 or the CD that is broken.) Now, I am pretty sure that there was no hidden partition on the drive---I checked it with partition magic.

Having a second amd64 (self assembled, working) means that I have the ability to put my new drive onto it as a USB device and do the restore there. this also allows me to ask windows on my other machine to check the restored drive, and so I can see that the restored partition has no "unmovable sectors" any longer. so, does your restored drive still have unmoveable sectors?

if only windows were as simple as linux in this situation...sigh! now I need to find out how to put a boot sector on the drive. This is not easy in itself, because it is not the system disk when hooked up to my amd64 system---and I believe that windows fdisk is not so very smart to take a 2nd drive as an argument.

IMHO, retrospect should really offer the option of backing up the MBR with the backup set itself.

regards, /ivo

I don't what info partition magic would display if there is a hidden partition.

Use fdisk tp see the partitions.

In order to boot from CD, the BIOS has to be instructed that you want to do that.

Archived