second set of back-up DVDs

I have a set up DVD back-ups created using retrospect 5.1.175

I want to make an exact copy of each so that I can keep one set on site and remove the other set for safe keeping. DVD copiers dont seem to work. Is there a way of duplicating these disks?

Also I would like to know how to make two exact copies at the back-up stage. Please help.

Here's what I do to make an exact copy of a backup. I use different media, but the procedure should be the same and it's covered in the Retro Users information, I think. I use a FW disk of appropriate size to hold my backup, then I copy the backup to AIT tape for off site storage. I keep two sets, but alternate them weekly so I have one copy on FW HD and an off-site copy on AIT and a set of tapes waiting that are one week old.

Use the Tools>Copy>Transfer command in 5.1.175. It's located in the Tools drop-down menu. In your case you should have two DVD drives to do this properly. It would be faster if you first back up to HD media, then you can do it with just one DVD writer.

I have a question for you. Do you use RW media? What size is your backup? How is this working out for you?

Thanks for your comments,

we use a tape back-up for our 'ongoing' work from a shared server. The tapes are overwritten in a weekly cycle.

When a job has been completed we back it up onto a dvd as a permanent archive so that we have a complete record of all our work - these are then used to retrieve jobs as and when required. The trouble is we only have one copy of each and worry that they may get lost or damaged. We use Sony DVD-R disks and so far have filled about 35 disks. The system is perfect apart from this one problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived