Clicking on Help in Menu Bar open Safari

I'm using Retrospect 5.1.167 with Driver Update 4.3.103 on a PowerMac G4 with OS 10.3.5. While trying to find out why, after upgrading to 10.3.5 from 10.2.6, my Auto Launch does not auto launch I went to the Help menu in the Menu Bar. When I clicked on it the Help page opened in Safari. My default Browser is set to FireFox and I can't find any setting in Retrospect that might select the Browser used for Help. Furthermore, when I click on "get the latest Retrospect read me file" on the Help page (in Safari) a page opens that displays "You have reached a knowledge base portal." Nothing more happens and there are no buttons or other messages on the page.

Forgetting my Auto Launch problem for the moment, does anyone know what's going on with the Safari Browser and the inability to access the latest Read Me file?

While checking to see if anyone responded to my prior post (no one did) I discovered an updated version of Retrospect 5.1.177.

I downloaded and installed it, replacing my prior version 5.1.165. Now when I click on Help in the Menu Bar the Dantz Help opens in IE! More grist for the mill?

Hi

I seem to remember this being something to do with the System prefs pane. On 10.2.6, I think there is a preference icon for "Internet" under system prefs. With an option to set the default browser.

Or option 2 - check in Safari preferences. Under 10.3 there is definitely an option there to select your default browser. (yes strange place to put the option, but that's where it is).

Paul

Paul:

Thanks for your reply. I checked in 10.3.5 and there doesn't appear to be anything in Preferences except a block labelled "Internet & Network" but nothing to select a default Browser. As far as I know, the only place you select that option is in Safari Preferences - which I did.

The mystery remains.

The Retrospect help files are located inside the Retrospect application package (control+click and select "show package contents):

/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect Help/

The files are properly named (ie: "Retrospect Help-01-01.html") and properly have no Creator code to over-rule the OS X file-extension method of application binding.

It is true that the only GUI that Apple provides for setting default mail and browser applications is inside the mail and browser applications that they provide (!). There are some free/shareware utilities that will make the necessary changes in the relevant .plist files.

You can also effect the defaults from any document's "Get Info..." dialog. Select the application you want to bind to a particular file type and click the "Change all..." button.

Dave

Archived