Newby Queston...please be patient

itbcm

I am a OneTouch newby, and would like some help with the following.

1. When I press the OneTouch button, the Retrospect program launches and the “Manage” splash screen opens. Is there a way to stop this?

2. When the backup is done, can I have Retrospect automatically close?

Thanks for all who may offer assistance.

Hi

That doesn't sound normal. What else do you see on the screen after you push the button?

By default Retrospect will automatically close after a scheduled backup or after the one touch backup completes. We need to fix your one touch button first...

Thanks

Nate

Nate--

Hi.

I've a similar problem, but didn't recognize it as a problem until reading your above. I simply thought it was, um, careless programming on either Maxtor's or Dantz's part.

When I press the button on my just installed Maxtor One Touch II (Windows XP-SP2), I get a little ballon that says backup will start in 19 seconds. It counts down, then the ballon disappears, and the backup begins -- blind; i.e., nothing displays on the monitor. The backup continues normally otherwise, and when complete, a bell sounds, and the backup ends (successful, as determined afterwards by my manually opening Retrospect, and checking the restore points).

What program should the Maxtor One Touch II be calling when the button is pressed? Would that be RetroExpress.exe in the Dantz program folder?

Thanks.

ACD

ACD,

I am in the same boat as you - new One Touch II. I think this particular aspect of the software is normal. If you wish to view the progress of the backup simply put your mouse over the little retrospect icon in the system tray and/or double click the icon to launch the status window.

Now with that beings said I have noticed some issues with this version of Retrospect Express HD (which seems to be a very new release). If I choose to only backup the My Documents directory Retrospect will not only backup my My Documents directory, but will also grab other users My Documents directory as well as files within the I386 directory. I am hoping Dantz will be patching Retrospect Express HD in the near future to eliminate this little glitch.

Anettis --

Yes, it's normal. I finally ended up calling Maxtor, and after dancing around with one of their regular tech support people who clearly knew very little technical beyond the ordinary, he bumped me up to one of their engineering staff. Engineering guy told me quite frankly they spec-ed the software that way because their prior version was confusing most of their users because it gave them too many options, and too many things to look at.

After learning that, I "solved" the problem for myself by simply reprogramming the One Touch button to call the Retrospect app directly (RetroExpress.exe), and I then work the backup diretly from the Retrospect screen (which is also designed to show only minimal information).

Not the solution I wanted, but it will have to do.

ACD

Archived