Restoring to a new hard drive

Papa34

Windows XP (SP1) 512MB RAM, DELL, etc.

I think my hard drive is about to say goodbye. I have Retrospect Pro 6.5.336.

When I get a new hard drive, will I be able to restore to the new hard drive, restoring the entire contents of the other drive? What about registry settings?

Thanks for the answer.

Papa

Hi

As long as you are using the "backup" function you are all set. It will back up the registry for you as long as you choose the system drive as a backup source.

Make sure to download and install Retrospect 6.5.350 from the Dantz website before you run the restore.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the information!

I have done a full backup and do incremental backups frequently.

Retrospect is installed on Drive C, which is the drive I want to restore to the new drive.

Do I need to install Retrospect on the new hard drive first, or just restore from the current drive C to the new drive? Will I need to make the new drive the system drive first or will that occur automatically after the restore?

Thanks again.

Hi

Here is what I would do:

Make the new drive primary master and use the windows install CD to partition and format the disk.

Reconnect your old drive as primary master and connect the new drive as a secondary master.

Use Retrospect to duplicate the C drive over to the new drive.

Move the new drive to primary master and boot from it.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

You won't be able to migrate your old settings to the new machine using Retrospect (if thats what you are asking). The hardware changes will break windows.

Other than that restore procedures are pretty much the same. If you intend to create a disaster recovery CD make sure to check this page:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=1109&p=2

Thanks

Nate

Thanks much! I read and printed the article at the link you specified.

I want to make sure I understand this before I go any further. I guess I was referring to migrating my old settings from XP(SP1) to XP(SP2). I understand now that is not possible.

I haven't backed up any networked XP computers, just a WIN98 computer (occasionally). But I can forget that anyway.

So, when I restore from my old system to the new one witn XP(SP2), I should disable the Firewall on the XP2 and the Retrospect restore process will not transfer any SP1 hardware settings...everything else will be restored. In other words, I install Retrospect on the SP2 machine, do a restore from the Retrospect XP1 backup file. Is this correct?

I'm gettin' there.

Papa

Quote:

One more thing: If I get a new computer with XP Home SP2, how will that affect the restore process from my current XP Home SP1? Would the restore be the same or what would I need to do differently?

Thanks again,

Papa

Windows' File & Settings Transfer Wizard (found under Accessories>System Tools) is 'made to order' for this situation...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

Regards... ~pv

Archived