Run Manual works / unattended fails

robertepetersen

Backup works fine when I press the one-button start on the Maxstore. However, scheduled, unattended backups always fail. I've tried setting defaults to log on as "Bob" (my only user/administrator name), but "run as logged in user" fails.

I've tried forcing a log on as Bob, but get "Can't grant necessary priviledges".

OS is Windows XP pro.

Bob@stoneridgefarm.org

Preferences | Security gives me 2 radio buttons from which to choose. "Run Retrospect as the logged-in user" [which is what I have selected] or "Always run Retrospect as the specified user. On this second radio buttons there are fields for User, Password, and Log on to: There is no domain field.

Thanks for your time.

You're right, the "Log on to" field is where you put domain or machine name info. But can you answer my first question--are you running your PC under a Windows domain or as a workgroup (standalone) user?

In either case, you need to need to run as "Always run Retrospect as the specified user" and fill in:

User: Bob

Password: <MyPassword>

Log on to:.... <MyDomain> (if part of a domain)

...................<MyMachineName> (if on a workgroup)

I'm a standalone user. Windows seems to have defaulted to "MSHOME" workgroup. I put in my PCs name and do a restart. Retrospect errors with "Retrospect could not be started under the specified user account (pcname\Bob) and is running under Local System instead. This can be corrected in Configure>Preferences>Security.

BTW: I'm the only user, so I have no password set up. Makes it easier to start the PC.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll go that route.

I resist having to use passwords on my private PC in my private office. With no PW, I don't need to logon to Windows. Now I will. Shame on Dantz for requiring more security than I need.

Many thanks for your time and attention. I'll only come back to this thread if I fail.

Archived