New Retrospect Express HD with Maxtor OneTouch II

anettis

I just purchased a Maxtor OneTouch II. This drives comes with the new Dantz Retrospect HD Express software, which at version number 1.0.196 seems like it is probably hot off the press. It seems like this version of Retrospect has a quite large memory footprint. A quick glance at Task Manager when Retrospect is not performing a backup shows the following two related entries under Task Manager:

Retrospect.exe Using over 27 MB

RetroExpress.exe Using over 39 MB

Considering most people only backup once per day (in the middle of the night) it seems that having these tasks taking up over 63 MB of RAM 24 hours a day is somewhat wasteful. I am wondering why the code has not been optimized to have a much smaller footprint – at least when it is not in use. Are other versions of Retrospect similarly large with respect to their memory footprint when not in use? And will Dantz perhaps address this shortcoming with updates to this new product?

Thanks,

Tony

Your point is valid and I currently have 1024 MB on my laptop. However I feel it is still questionable software design to tie up 63 MB all day long which could ultimately cause unnecessary access to the swap file – particularly for those with 128MB – 256MB. Retrospect could easily have a zero memory footprint (while not actually in use) and simply be initiated by the Windows Scheduler at the time a backup is scheduled. When I see this kind of bloat on PC software it raises a red flag for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony is absolutely right. What if everybody had the same kind of attitude; large footprint (we're talking 60-70mb) is okay because modern computers can handle it? That would have been a really bad situation, wouldn't it? Yes it would. Please fix your broken software, I for one cannot use this, it has been removed. It's a nice disk though.

Archived