I lost all my music! Can I restore?

faust

I have a maxtor 200GB external hard drive (F drive) & I use retrospect express in two ways:

1) I backup my laptop's C drive on to my external maxtor F drive

2) Seperately I store all of my music in MP3 format on this F drive (the music has never been stored on my laptop's C drive)

Today I turned on my drives and all of my music is gone. Is there anyway I can recover this? (It seems that there is a backup set containing 26 GB's on my F drive, but I do not know how to restore it?)

Please help!!!!

First of all make sure your Maxtor is turned on and connected to your computer. Go to Start\My Computer. You should be able to see your Maxtor F drive. Open the drive. You should see a file called Retrospect, and then something like Backup Set A or something to that effect. If your F drive shows up empty, then I'm afraid your Backup was not successful.

Assuming you see your Backup Set A, go to Start\All Programs and run Retrospect. On the left, click on Restore.

You will see a window with Backup Set A highlighted and the words: Snapshop contained in Backup Set A (Drive C).

You should have no problem going on from there. Note that you may have to boot your computer a couple of times before everything is restored to what it was, including Registry.

Backup Set A is visible, so I feel like the file does exist.

Do I restore entire volume or selected files?

It gives me the same option, whether I select entire volume or selected files. Which "snapshot" do I select (*Drive C is my laptop while Drive D is the maxtor)?

1)Drive C(my name is listed)

2)Drive C(system)

3)Drive D(sysem)

Thank you,

JA

Before we go any further with Backup, are you very sure the music you have stored on your F drive in MP3 format does not exist. Turn on Maxtor, connect it to your computer, go to My Computer, highlight and open your F drive. If you can find the file, then you simply have to drag & drop it into your C drive wherever it was located. If this does not work, we can go back to Backup.

Rereading your original post, I see your MP3 files were never stored on your C drive. In that case it is quite useless to restore your system, since the music never existed on your C drive. Your only hope is to find the MP3 you stored on your Maxtor. If you find the MP3 file on your Maxtor, drag & drop the file into your C drive in My Music folder.

I cannot find the MP3 files. All I find is 50 files(in the backup set A folder) with an icon(it looks like 2 blue floppy disc on top of each other) that I am not familiar with. Yes, I have never stored any MP3 files on my C drive, although I am so confused I just wanted to be very clear as to what I am seeing.

My hope is that these 50 files(which equal 26.5 GB's) have got to be my music. I just need to know how to restore/unzip/open them.

The 50 files you see with the blue icons like 2 floppy discs on top of each other are your backup files. You cannot open these. They are a Backup of your C drive but they do not contain your MP3 files since these files never existed on your C drive.

I am trying to understand what may have happened to your MP3 files. If your Maxtor external HD has not been partitioned, then trying to Duplicate something to the Maxtor could have resulted in any files not existing at the source (your C drive) being deleted on the destination drive (your Maxtor). Again it is useless trying to restore your Backup, since your MP3 files never existed on your C drive.

Archived