Backing up 2 different Computers

ATHiker95

I thought I'd check before I proceeded. I'm currently backing up to a Maxtor OneTouch, which appears as my J: drive on my desktop. I want to back up my wife's laptop as well, but don't want to accidentally overwrite information that I backed up from my desktop. Not sure how it would handle the establishment of directories,etc. This is probably an inane question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Just wasn't sure if it would make it clear as to which backup was which. And wasn't sure that the OneTouch button on the Maxtor would work properly if I started mashing it on one computer and then plugging it into another and mashing it again. smile.gif (It currently backs up my G: drive on Desktop when I push it). Would assume, I would get some surprising results.

Your thoughts on how I should avoid unpleasant surprises before I plunge ahead?

Thanks,

ATHiker

What is your operating system? If it is WinXP or Win2000, you should partition your Maxtor OneTouch into four partitions. You should then format each partition to the NTFS file system. I use one partition to Dantz Backup the complete system for both my desktop and my laptop. I use partition 2 to Dantz Duplicate the C drive in my desktop, partition 3 to Duplicate the C drive in my laptop. Partition 4 I keep as a spare.

If you don't have WinXP or Win2000, you might either consider upgrading to these OS to take advantage of the NTFS file system, or else consider getting Partition Magic. Note that your OneTouch was formatted at the factory with Windows FAT32 file system which limits any file to a maximum size of 4 GB, whereas the NTFS file system has no such limitation.

I haven't worked with the OneTouch button, but I think it will only work on a single partition drive. I can't see how you could save your files and your wife's files on the same partition.

My OneTouch is 120 GB, so partitioning into 4 partitions gave me partitions of 30 GB which was large enough for my purposes. Because Dantz Retrospect Express Backup compresses the files, I can easily fit both my desktop backup and my laptop backup on the same partition. As for the Duplicate feature, it needs its own partition for the desktop as for the laptop. The reason is that duplicate will delete any file which does not exist at the source. Should you have a second duplicate on the same partition, this second duplicate would be seen as files not existing at the source and would be deleted.

I use Retrospect Backup much as Windows Restore. But Backup will restore things that Windows Restore will not do. Suppose you install a new version of a program which updates your old version. Should the new version be not satisfactory, Windows Restore will not bring

back the old version, but Retrospect Backup will do so.

You can't however make a boot disk using Retrospect Backup, contrary to claims made by Dantz. In case of a major disaster, I get Dell to help me do a clean installation of WinXP, I install the basic drivers, SP2 from disc, Maxtor and Retrospect software. I can then access my backup on the OneTouch which bring back my system to what is was before the disaster.

I find Retrospect Duplicate useful in order to share files between my laptop and my desktop.

My OneTouch is the 120Gig version as well. Currently I do an entire system backup and I do two different Duplicate backups - one of MyDocuments (Drive G on desktop) and one of my Photos (Drive H) on desktop. Not sure what you meant when you said "As for the Duplicate feature, it needs its own partition for the desktop as for the laptop" I don't need different partitions for each Duplicate under my current situation, do I ?(desktop only). As far as I understand it's just a different script and creates it's own directory on the OneTouch (actually I create the new folder). I understand the advantages to partitioning the OneTouch for the purpose of keeping my wife's and my stuff separate.

Going over the process of duplicating the C drive, I see two options: replacing the entire volume or replacing corresponding files. I didn't realize the second option existed (it is a drop-down menu). So I guess two duplicates could exist on the same partition. Which means you wouldn't have to partition your OneTouch.

I've learned something in this exchange. You certainly don't need separate partitions for each Duplicate as I was doing if you use the option to replace corresponding files. I also learned to create sub-volumes, either at the source or at the destination. As you mentioned, creating folders on the OneTouch and designating these folders as sub-volumes makes for tidy Duplicates. Thanks for the learning experience.

Archived