6.0.204 with RDU 5.9 appears to fix autoloader issues.

Alright... I took the plunge. I'm now running 6.0.204 with the RDU 5.9 (which is rolled into 6.0.204) and our Sony LIB-162 AIT-3 autoloader seems to be remembering tape names correctly now without having to rebuild all of our scripts and preferences.

I'm posting this here because the original thread is quite long.

Here's what I did to test:

1. Saved /Library/Preferences/Retrospect and the entire 6.0 folder.

2. Restarted the machine to clear the Retrospect daemon.

3. Installed 6.0.204 from the CD image, which includes the 5.9 RDU.

4. Ran Repair Permissions (which I always do after installing new OS X software).

5. Started Retrospect.

All tape names appear to be correct. Closed Retrospect, restarted it, all tape names appear to be correct.

Ran Unload All and Initialise Array. Closed Retrospect, restarted it. Clicked Configure | Devices. All tape names appear to be correct.

Ran a trial backup. Works. All clients appear to be intact and working.

I think that Dantz has fixed the autoloader issue. I did not have to recreate preferences in order to get this to work. I used the existing prefs from 6.0.193.

To recap: OS X 10.3.5 on a dual G4, 1Gb of RAM, ATTO UL3S card with the latest ATTO driver, now running 6.0.204 with the 5.9 RDU, connected to a Sony LIB-162 AIT-3 autoloader.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever assign non-standard IDs on the library and AIT drive(s)? Tech last Friday recommended I do this.

G4/733mhz, 512mb RAM, tried both OS X 10.3.5 and OS X Server 10.3.5. Sony lib-162 AIT-3 version, single drive installed. Brand-new Retrospect 6.0.204 install. ATTOExpressPCIPlus kext version 3.2.0 and all other latest ATTO drivers installed on ATTO ExpressPCL UL3S. The Sony seems to be revision 0102.

With no RDU, RDU 5.9, or RDU 6.0 installed, Retr will get past "scanning inventory" then hang when in the storage device status screen; the carousel will not move and the library's autoloader will show no change in status. Rest of the machine stays responsive when Retr hangs, force-quit works cleanly.

Reboots, PRAM, different PCI slots & SCSI cables have no effect. Repaired disk permissions several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Did you ever assign non-standard IDs on the library and AIT drive(s)? Tech last Friday recommended I do this.

Yup. ATTO Support had me set the Library for SCSI ID 5, the first drive for ID 2, the second (non-existent) drive for ID 6.

Quote:

G4/733mhz, 512mb RAM, tried both OS X 10.3.5 and OS X Server 10.3.5.

I'm on 10.3.6 now and it's working fine, but 10.3.5 worked too.

Quote:

Sony lib-162 AIT-3 version, single drive installed.

Same here.

Quote:

Brand-new Retrospect 6.0.204 install. ATTOExpressPCIPlus kext version 3.2.0 and all other latest ATTO drivers installed on ATTO ExpressPCL UL3S.

Same here, same card, same drivers.

Quote:

The Sony seems to be revision 0102.

Are you sure about that firmware version? My library is 0201, the drive is 0202.

Quote:

With no RDU, RDU 5.9, or RDU 6.0 installed, Retr will get past "scanning inventory" then hang when in the storage device status screen; the carousel will not move and the library's autoloader will show no change in status. Rest of the machine stays responsive when Retr hangs, force-quit works cleanly.

I'm on the most recent RDU, 6.0.103. Working like a champ.

Are you sure you did your install when RS wasn't running? Reboot your box, then perform the install without RS starting up? Got the SCSI terminator on the LIB-162's other port? Perhaps try my SCSI IDs, zap your PRAM, shutdown the Mac, boot the 162, wait til it displays the library tapes, then start the Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a rev 0203 for the Library that I was able to install on my -162 through the web; default pw on this unit is LIB-162A followed by a second logon of LIB-162 / SONY. Go to the IP of the device from IE and you can admin several functions..

Installed RS several times over but had not tried reinstalling it from a safe boot or anything like that -- but I'm still quite sure this is a SCSI issue.

Will try that ID combo, thanks.

-p

Archived