insufficient permissions error

Please explain why this error would occur:

Can't use Open File Backup option for <volume name> on <PC name>, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

This is using Retrospect Single Server 6.5.350 on a Windows Server 2003 Standard machine to backup files on a laptop running Windows XP Pro with Retrospect client 6.5.136.

Here's what I *think* is going on.

If you run the main Retrospect program on an XP PC to backup that machine locally, it's able to use the "Volume Shadow Copy" service to do Open File Backup without the need for any add-on. The feature only exists in XP (not 2000, NT, ME/98, etc.). I don't know about Win2003 Server since I haven't tried it.

However, when you run the client, this isn't true. A client running on an XP box will *not* use the integrated VSC. Instead, Open File Backup is only available for clients with the purchase of the optional OFB feature. I assume you're not licensing the optional OFB feature with your Single Server setup?

---------------------

As a side note, I've been having problems with Retro and XP's VSC on several XP machines (reporting that they can't do OFB). If Retro MultiServer (with the optional OFB add-on) is run on these machines, OFB works fine, suggesting only the OFB add-on but not XP's VSC is working for me in these cases.

I was also getting this error while using the trial version of Retro 6.5 MultiServer. The trial version has OFB enabled by default, so I think this is actually a problem with Retrospect rather than just a non-enabled feature.

We had the Retro trial running on a Windows 2000 Pro machine performing a backup of a Windows NT 4.0 Server machine. We have since purchased Retrospect (and the OFB add-on) and I am in the process of implementing it now so I haven't tested it on a non-trial version, but I suspect the same errors will occur.

Archived