Emergency restore when registry on "non-system" partition?

jch

Hi,

I have my PC configured like this:

c: contains /windows files; /program files

d: contains all my application data (/Documents and Settings) *including* the registry

The idea being that, as long as I don't install any new programs, then I can "roll-back" to a known state by only restoring my d: drive. (I'm using PowerQuest DriveImage to keep snapshots of each drive)

Had to do an emergency restore today. But Retrospect Pro 6.5.350 couldn't do a "restore system settings" for d: (it could only do it for c: which, in my case, does not contain the registry)

When trying to do a "snapshot restore" of d:, it ran into several "file-in-use" errors:

- 10/20/2004 12:56:35 PM: Restoring from Backup Set A

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IBM\messages\logs\lf000.log": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\config65.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\operations_log.utx": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\ntuser.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\ntuser.dat.LOG": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\Cookies\index.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "D:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

How do I work-around this??

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers,

.../j

Hi

If that is the case Retrospect should be using open file backup to backup and restore these files. You should not be seeing 1020 errors. Can you verify that the volume shadow copy service is running? Are there any errors in the Retrospect log about open file backup?

As a side note - what method did you use to move your registry to the D drive?

Thanks

nate

Archived