Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'multicast'.
The search index is currently processing. Current results may not be complete.
We recently acquired a MacBook Pro laptop, running Mac OS X 10.10. I installed the 12.5 client on it, and tried to do a backup, but on the client CP, I saw: "protected by Retrospect, client name: zzzzz (IP xx.xx.xx.xx) (multicast port unavailable)" When I went to the server to "connect" the client, it did not show up, and I had to add it manually - which worked, because I knew the IP. A search on the web revealed no solutions, or other information on this problem. I ended up changing the ethernet connection to the machine, and the "port unavailable" message in the client went away. When I set it up originally, I plugged it into an old 10 BaseT "satellite" ethernet hub that was closest to the laptop. Since it was slow, I ended up switching to a direct connection to the main switch via a longer ethernet cable. The "port unavailable" went away when I connected directly to the switch. Just FYI. It may or may not be interesting to anyone else. Maybe someone else out there is still using older 10BaseT hubs, and is seeing this sort of problem.
If you have a mobile client, one that disconnects and reconnects from the LAN (wired) Retro 15.6 will fail when the client returns. It's happened to me twice that Retro doesn't recognize the client when it again plugs in / appears on the network on it's next scheduled backup. The error is "Client unavailable." I believe this to be a long standing issue. The Client in System Preferences seems not to give any bad indications and show status as normal, but it clearly isn't. The symptom is the client is un-recognized when refreshing or locating it, it can be seen after such a failure to run a script. I suspect this is a problem with (Retrospect's) multicast service as compared with Apple's Bonjour service. Even a desktop that has been restarted occasionally fails on multicast (due to sleep recognition issues previously reported). Apparently is still runs backups probably because the last time this happened I located to a fixed address. I can report a workaround to this issue which seems to work to recover from the error. Just log out the user and log back in, then launch the Retro app to locate the source client. Retrospect server then recognizes this client on future backup scripts.