Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'configuration'.
The search index is currently processing. Current results may not be complete.
Hi, I'm trying to set up a Custom Configuration for archiving with 10.5… I've lost one afternoon, 10 DVD's and more, and went back to version 6 on my old PPC … I am VERY frustrated! First I tried on my MacPro 2008, which the Optical Drive (OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A) was perfectly working under 10.5.8 previously with version 6 and with DVD+R. IMPOSSIBLE to make this setup to work with this optical drive on version 10.5 under 10.8.5 (MLion). the Custom configuration did not accept the DVD's (I tried two different sorts). Then I went to my 2012 iMac, the custom configuration was accepting the drive/DVD+R, but at the end of the test is ask some thing like "do you want to add another support to test, etc…" but no luck to find where I can move forward. Should I stop? How do I finalize the configuration ?, in the activity panel there is a flashing "pause" button/ round dot… but ? What can I do to validate this custom configuration? I tried several time, but despite it said the optical drive is accepted i still cannot use it! If you have great idea… before I leave this software for ever… Thanks,
We had a power outage nearby yesterday which took down all non-essential equipment in the building. Our backup server was powered down before I had time to reach it and gracefully shut it down (it is connected to a small UPS battery with 2-3 minutes power). On boot, the console tried to connect to the server but kept spinning. My guess is that the configuration file got corrupted. This was with Retrospect 10.1.0 (221) running on a Mac mini running Mac OS X Server v10.8.3. A similar situation happened earlier this year when the machine froze up and I was forced to cold boot. Again, the configuration file was broken and all information about our licenses was lost that time. That time we were running Retrospect 8.2.0 (399) on the same Mac mini with Mac OS X Server v10.6.8. The Config80.bak file was also corrupted in both instances. Thanks to twickland on the forums, I was able to resolve this both times using the following procedure. This relies on you having a back up your backup server and the license keys handy: Make sure all machines that Retrospect mounts through NFS are powered on and have the NFS service running (only applies if you use NFS). Stop the Retrospect engine. You will need to restore the configuration file from the backup of the backup server. First, make copies of /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Config80.dat, /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Config80.bak, and the catalog file for the backup of your backup server just in case. Delete the original Config80.dat and Config80.bak files. Retrospect now has no configuration. Start the Retrospect engine and open the console. The console will prompt you for the license key. If you use NFS mounts and your backup server media set has members on these mounts, you will need to re-add them. In Sources, click Add and in the Share tab of the dialog, enter: Share address: nfs://my.lovely.server/my/lovely/exported/directory Connect as: Registered User Name: [username for the user on the backup server] Password: [password for the user on the backup server] In Media Sets, click on Locate and open your catalog file for the backup server. Initiate a restore using the icon on the top-left of the Retrospect console. Restore /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Config80.dat and /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/Config80.bak to some location. Close the Retrospect console and turn off the engine. Copy the restored configuration files back into /Library/Application Support/Retrospect. Turn on the engine, and open the console. Hopefully all is well. So that was a solution for me. The big question is why is the configuration file so fragile? Why does the server not write to a temporary file and then at safe points replace the main configuration file with the new configuration? And why is the server so bad at determining that the configuration file is broken? These seem like simple problems to fix and I personally have wasted hours on this problem the first time around.
Hi, Our Retrospect server (the Mac machine) froze this week and I was forced to do a hard boot. At the time, Retrospect had been doing a groom on a media set for @20 hours (I think it had stalled because there was about 10 KB space left before the groom started and media sets with practically no space remaining never groom properly for me). On reboot, Retrospect asked for a license key which has never happened before. I entered the key but now the old configuration and settings are all gone - no media sets, no scripts, etc. From previous forum posts, it looks like I should restore the config80.dat file. Did this get corrupted? The version in /Library/Application Support/Retrospect is now 470KB. The catalogs directory still seems to have all the old catalog files. The old config80.dat file was hopefully included in the backup set for the Mac server but I do not know how to restore it. Any help is appreciated.
I have roughly 25 scripts that I use to automagically do the backups, and rotate the backups at the beginning/end of each month. I use proactive, regular "backup" scripts, and dataset copy scripts. Today, I was checking on things, and noted that 3 of the scripts were marked with a red X. One had lost its source media set, and two had lost their destination sets (and their schedules, too) I'm quite sure that I did not make these changes. The proactive backup script that was damaged is supposed to run a backup every day. It had not un its backup since the 15th of November. This configuration has been running happily for many weeks. I fixed it, but it is disturbing that the config can silently and spontaneously change.